Chapter 9 - Strange

And Id choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, Id find you and choose you.
- Kiersten White
_____________________________________________

....I am so happy for you both Colin, that is truly a delight. Agatha is a beautiful name.
A letter from Elizabeth to Colin upon inviting his first born into the world.

I had to see her. I couldn't resist it any longer. Joy was sick and I needed a familiar comfort. It had been a year since I had spoken to her. I needed her.

   I wrote a letter back to Ashton, I knew that Joy had a habit of getting sick and being down terribly from it. Hopefully she will be back to good health soon and they will return and all will be well. Hopefully.

    I packed my things. I debated on telling my mother. She deserved to know. I took a carriage over to the house. I walked through the threshold and into the parlor.

    "Mama, may I speak to you?" I asked. She nodded and asked Samantha to leave us for a moment. Our maid took her to another room and shut the doors.

   "I am leaving." She looked up shockingly. "Why? Where are you going? I-"

    "Im going to visit Eloise. It has been too long and I miss my best friend. I know that everyone else is gone and I am sorry. I need to do this." She looked down, "I see." I took her hands, "I will be back within a fortnight I promise. I am sorry."

She looked into my eyes and pushed a strand of hair out of my face, "Do not be sorry dear, you are just like your father, adventurous. Stay that way. He always was traveling." She had tears in her eyes, but they quickly left.

    "I love you mama." I said and kissed her cheek. She smiled as I got up, "Don't be gone to long, I need someone to keep me going."

    "You'll always have Samantha for that."
    "But I want my wise, intelligent daughter too." I felt the tears before they had even come. I glanced at the portrait of my father in the hallway.

Everyday I became more stronger, but some days are worse than others.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

    I told Martin my goodbyes and got in my carriage the next day. I took into deep realization, that in an hour I would see Eloise. It didn't seem real exactly. I don't know why I never wrote to her. Maybe I had too much to put into a letter, things that no one should see and what if Sir Phillip read it? Or one of his children? Wait, Eloise is a mother now. I am aware they are her step children, but it still shocked me to think it.

    I looked out the windows at the beautiful country side, over thinking as well. What if she turns me away? She might not even speak to me. I don't know why Im going.

Because I miss her. I miss her so so deeply.

I needed more time to prepare. I should have planned this trip in advance. Maybe even sent her a warning letter, sounding something like Dear Eloise, I know you don't miss me, but I am going to come see you anyways, and you'll probably also not want to see me, but I don't care. I need to see you.

    ୨♡୧

    The house was exquisite. It was in the country with many flowers planted around the front. The lights inside were on. It wasn't super late in the evening so hopefully I won't walk in on them dining.

The coachman opened the door and took my hand as I got out. I said my thank you's and walked to the front door. My hand froze in mid air before I knocked. You could turn back now. No. No I am going. I wrapped my knuckles on the door. It unlocked and opened. Sir Phillip stood in the doorway.