Chapter five

Jenna

Jenna buried her head in her arms as a groan left her mouth, Hunter silently laughing beside her. Hadn't she been so exhausted, she'd probably have gotten mad at him, there was absolutely nothing funny about the situation. They were both stuck on stupid cases with a criminal in the wind. They had to figure this out quickly if they didn't want more people to lose their lives, but all Hunter was doing was laughing at the detective's frustration.

Fucking idiot.

"I don't get it," She breathed out, trying to ignore her growing headache. "How the fuck- how do we have absolutely nothing on them ?"

"I don't know," Hunter answered with a shrug. "I guess they know what they're doing..."

"Wait-" Jenna's eyes widened as her lips curled up into a smile, "That's it!" She exclaimed.

"What's it-"

She shook her head, getting up and walking around the room as if it could help her sort her thoughts.

"Listen, whoever killed your guys-" And robbed mine, Jenna bit her lip so the last words wouldn't slip out, it was too early for her to share her theory about them being the same person.

"Was obviously experienced, right?"

"Um... I mean, I guess. They knew what they were doing, at least."

"Then it might not be their first go," The detective explained, and her colleague nodded, his eyebrows furrowed.

"So..." He trailed,

"We should look into it, try to search if there have been similar cases recently around here."

Hunter let out a low sigh at her words, "Yeah, I guess you're right. But I don't know if we're gonna find more, honestly."

"It's worth trying," She shrugged, "And that's all we have for now, anyway."

"Yeah, true. Thanks for helping me Jenna, by the way."

I'm not helping you, Idiot. She thought, despairingly wanting to say it out loud. The man was a nice guy, but he was seriously getting on her nerves. She wondered how such a bad detective got assigned to a case that serious. Lives were at stake, for God's sake. The situation was too urgent to be taken lightly, which he didn't seem to realize at all. The only thing he could do was to complain about how hard this case was like it would help solve it in any way.

"Oh, I'm just as stuck as you, so..." She said, knowing that she had to remain nice to him if she wanted more details about those murders.

"I was hoping this would somehow enlighten me too."

Hunter only nodded, giving her a sympathetic smile, "Where's Georgie by the way? Isn't he supposed to help you?"

"He's with Tanner, asking him some questions again. He should be back soon,"

"Oh, okay. You guys are lucky your guy's still alive, I wish I could ask the victims some questions too."

"Yeah, well," Jenna chuckled, "He might as well be dead, honestly, it's not like he's helping us at all."

Hunter looked at her with a frown, not answering anything. Jenna sat back down on her chair, deciding that it was best not to elaborate. She needed to get some work done.

Both of the detectives dove back into the pile of paper they had gathered, the brunette was analyzing for the nth time the pictures Hunter had taken at his crime scenes.

It was all so neat, if it wasn't for the dead bodies, no one could've guessed what happened there. The two places were perfectly clean, not one piece of furniture seemed out of place, except for the one the bodies were tied to, obviously.