Chapter six

Jenna

Jenna felt like she was going completely insane. Maybe she actually was. It wouldn't even be that surprising after everything she went through and the pressure she had on her from work and other issues. It was too much for one person.

She kind of wished she had actually gone mad. It would at least explain why she was so enthusiastic that her theories were proven right and that she had started a game with a potential serial killer. No sane person would react like that, and Jenna felt like she was anything but sane at that moment. Nothing in her life made sense, and it got worse every day.

Hell, she knew she had to try and snap out of it, but...

Not for now, maybe later. Maybe once she'd catch that woman, prove to everyone how good of a detective she is.

For that to happen, though, she couldn't tell Georgie. First of all, because she was scared that the mysterious woman would never text her again if she did. If Jenna made sure that she felt safe enough with her, or didn't see the detective as a threat, then she'd probably try to contact her again, and the brunette would have a lot more chances to find her. Part of her also enjoyed the talk, which was the other reason why Jenna couldn't tell Georgie.

He'd definitely think she had gone crazy and make sure she got suspended for a little while, which would make sense really. What kind of person, let alone a detective, enjoyed talking to a dangerous criminal? Jenna couldn't have her captain thinking any less of her, or her career would be over for good.

This was why, as soon as Georgie approached the brunette the morning after the incident and asked her if she had any good news with the dating apps, Jenna just shrugged and answered, "Nothing yet, unfortunately."

She strongly hoped that he'd be the same for him. She knew it was bad, but she'd be disappointed if the woman had texted him too, or anyone else really. Jenna felt special knowing that she was the only one she chose to contact. She hadn't been anyone's first choice ever since... well, ever since Maddie.

God, it really was pathetic, wasn't it?

Fortunately, Georgie only smiled sadly at her and answered.

"Yeah, same." Before sitting down in front of Jenna and getting ready to work. It would be just another normal day, except the brunette had a motivation this time, an actual criminal to catch, a challenge to win.

She finally felt alive, or closer to it than she had been in a while, and she wasn't going to ruin that. No one could.

"What is making you smile like this?" Georgie suddenly asked, chuckling faintly, and the brunette could hardly fight it anymore.

"I don't know, just happy to work?"

Happy to work ?! Really, Jenna? She couldn't have found any worst excuse.

"Well, damn, I don't know how you do that. The more days we spend on this case, the less happy I am, honestly."

Jenna just shrugged her shoulder at his statement, "Me too, but I have a good feeling about today. I don't know why."

"Well I hope you're right, Ortega," He smiled at her, pausing for a few seconds as he looked through his files before looking up into her eyes again.

"The captain should be here in a minute. He want to hear about our progress, so... Keep that grin on your face,"

"Oh," She breathed out, her smile immediately disappearing, which made her partner laugh.

"Come on, cheer up. He might tell us to just give up on the case or something. We've worked hard already, there's not a lot more we can do."