Chapter sixteen

Emma

Finally.

It took Emma years of planning, of longing for the perfect revenge, for Justice. Months of tracking to find them, to ensure that they couldn't get away from her. Weeks to get to them all and, ultimately, strike.

She had always wondered how she would feel once all of them were gone for good. Perhaps she would finally feel at peace, or complete. Or, maybe instead she would feel empty, without any real purpose. She had been waiting for this moment for so long. Who knew what she would do once it was all over?

Now, as she was staring at the man's limp body before her, she realized that it was neither of those.

No, Emma felt euphoric.

She had lived long enough to get her revenge, doing so without getting caught, and she felt like the most powerful woman in the whole world. The whole universe, perhaps. A triumphant smile made its way to her lips, and without being able to control herself anymore, she started laughing. She made it.

The bruises weren't gone. She had accepted that they would probably linger forever. But, now that she'd gotten rid of all of her targets, the first thought that would occur when they started hurting again was that all of the men responsible for so much suffering were buried six feet under, and if she managed to escape for good, they would never, ever find justice.

She had won. And she had done so with someone by her side, after years and years of loneliness.

Looking down, she spotted Jenna on the floor. The brunette had fallen onto her knees, her petite figure shaking badly, and despite her current ecstatic state, Emma couldn't help but feel slight concern for the girl. Perhaps she had expected too much from her. Jenna was broken, which she was sure of, it didn't seem to be enough to numb the feeling of guiltiness, though.

Making her way to the girl, Emma reached out to her shoulder before squeezing it gently, so as not to startle her.

She hated how she had grown a soft spot for Jenna. She hoped it wouldn't fuck her up later.

"You did a good job, Ortega." Emma breathed out, feeling the brunette relax under her touch. "It's over now."

Jenna shook her head at that, her gaze stuck on the floor. "No, no," Her voice was trembling. "I killed him."

"Jenna," She called, making the shorter girl look up. Tears were streaming down her face, she was livid, and Emma sighed. "You did the right thing."

She hoped she would believe it.

Emma truly did not want to get rid of her, but she couldn't let anything, or anyone, get in her way.

Jenna remained silent but nodded lightly. It was obvious she was conflicted, but eventually, she started smiling, and the blond-haired girl knew that the dark sides of her were stronger. Deep down, Jenna was just like her. She would simply need to train her a little if she stayed by her side for long.

Just as Emma reached her hand out to help the brunette up, she heard the distant noises of sirens blaring, and both of their heads shot to the side towards the window.

"Fuck," She muttered under her breath.

The fight wasn't completely over yet.

Jenna

Jenna knew that from then on, her life would never be the same.

She felt sick, and even though a feeling of satisfaction was growing bigger and bigger in the back of her mind, she knew it would take long to get over what she had just done.