Chapter seven

Jenna

Jenna could barely hold back the shudder that went through her body at the sight of the dead body laying before her. After seven years of doing that job and she still felt sick every time, she was sure it wouldn't change. Maybe it was better, though. It made her a bit more human when she felt like she was getting further and further away from that.

Georgie was beside her, waiting for her to say anything, as she was analyzing the scene around them, trying to notice anything odd before they started moving everything around to look for clues.

The brunette cleared her throat as she crouched down next to the body, trailing her hand, which she had carefully covered with a glove, on the dead's man bare chest.

"He's tied up," She noted and her partner hummed softly, following her hand with his eyes as it got closer to his neck.

"And he has some Hunter around his neck like someone choked him." She added as she enclosed her hand around it, following the Hunter, like the killer had probably done a few hours prior.

"Do you think that's how he died?"

"I don't know, we'll have to wait for the forensic report, but I doubt it. It doesn't really look like it anyway, more like..." She paused, trying to hide her disgust.

"More like it was part of some kind of kinky shit. I mean, look at him." She scoffed, before getting up, facing her partner again.

"Yeah, it's... weird as fuck," He chuckled awkwardly.

"If- if you were right, then it's the same woman who robbed him and who killed him, right?"

"Yup, it seems likely at least."

He nodded, "Then shouldn't he have been scared? I mean, if he knew she robbed him before, then this time... I mean we don't know if she just showed up or if he contacted her, but he should've known she wasn't up to anything good. Why let her tie him up?"

Jenna furrowed her eyebrows, staying silent for a few seconds to find a logical explanation for it, finding only one.

"He doesn't look like he's been forced, not physically at least, so I guess manipulation is the way." She started, her tone dropping lower.

"A lot of people become irrational when it comes to sex, human beings are weak, especially men. No offense."

"None was taken," Georgie chuckled, and Jenna could barely hold her smile back.

"Whoever our woman is, I bet she seduces her victim to get what she wants, and it seems to work pretty well. Tanner didn't look like the smartest man ever anyway, so..."

"Mh, that makes sense." He paused, looking at Jenna with a frown on his face.

"Maybe we could use that to catch her. The dating app seemed like a failure, probably because Tanner lied to us about it, but we could use a similar method. I'm sure a detective can go undercover for a while and try to pretend to be some kind of rich asshole, we'll monitor each of his moves while looking for her on our own like we're currently doing, by looking for the stolen items and everything." He said, and Jenna nodded, trying not to let her partner know that the dating app had not been a failure. His plan was not stupid, but the brunette knew better. That woman knew they were looking for her and probably wouldn't fall for such a basic trap.

It would at least serve as a distraction for both her captain and Georgie while she was investigating on her own. Their serial killer might be into women too, after all, or she made it seem like it in the messages she exchanged with Jenna at least. The detective was aware she was currently a mess, unable to achieve anything good after her failed marriage, but she also knew she was still good-looking when she put effort into it, Maddie wouldn't take that away from her.