VII. THE EARLY BIRD

✯      ✯      ✯

✯ ✯

The next day, Antares spent the whole day inside his room. He ate early in the morning, skipped lunch, and ate dinner in his room. No one seemed to question him, certainly not Molly, who still held a grudge for their previous argument.

As for Antares, he sat sprawled on the bedroom floor, pouring over the books and photographs his father had hidden away in a compartment under the floorboards. Currently, he was staring at a photo of his parents, who looked young and freshly graduated. The one after it was similar, but now held in Regulus' arms was a baby with matching unruly hair. His parents were still students when he was born. If he did the math correctly, Antares was born during the summer of Regulus' sixth year. He wondered if it was before or after his father became a Death Eater. How did his parents manage to hide him? Antares huffed as he dropped the photo back onto the floor.

Not like it matters now, he thought bitterly.

Antares continued to lie on the floor until the house fell silent again, only stopping when he ran out of photos.

✯ ✯

He sat at his father's desk, hunched over a slightly rolled sheet of parchment. It was early morning, too early for most, and the house breathed in the silence. No one was awake, not even Sirius, who had taken to being an early riser ever since his 'release' from Azkaban. Having already bathed and dressed, Antares had decided to write to his best friend and confidant, Cole Eldine.

Cole, like Antares, was the son of an Augur. Cole's father, Lucas Eldine, was a Seer and the youngest member of the Circle. Since Lucas was fairly young himself, he had trouble raising Cole alone. So, like any good Samaritan, Marissa Kelly did what she could to help him. Antares and Cole grew up as brothers, having been babysat at the Kelly Manor together while their parents attended Augur meetings. It made Antares smile as he continued to write a letter to him.

My dearest Colette,

Things here are slow. I've spent the last few days couped up in this house, and I don't know how much longer I can resist taking a portkey back. I've become the protector of the Golden Boy. He's not as bad as I thought. He's a bit of a galah, but he means well. I think things are better now that I've graduated, and my education isn't in shambles from being disrupted constantly.

I met Bitzer, did I tell you? Well, he's nothing like Mum described. I suppose his time 'away' could explain that. He's great, honestly, and more than I could have asked for. I'm grateful I have family left over here, but I also think it hurts him. Sometimes I catch him staring, but I don't think he sees me. He does the same with Golden Boy.

How's Mum?

I haven't written to Aunt Diana yet, so don't go sending a howler about it. Speaking of, I got the one you sent earlier. Congratulations on becoming a junior reporter at the Chronicle! Maybe now you can pull your new badge on Caverly when you try to snoop on the next Augur meeting. Do me a favour and send me your first article, will you? I don't care if it's two sentences or two pages. I WANT TO READ IT!