VIII. LIKE FATHER LIKE SON

✯      ✯      ✯

✯ ✯

      In the years Sirius has known Remus, he never doubted his friend's intelligence. As a student at Hogwarts, Remus had the best grades, had the least detentions and was most often the voice of reason. He was made Prefect, for Godric's sake! Sirius couldn't believe that Remus was so close to knowing the truth but also so far.

Sirius dared to look at Antares from across the table. He was using all his willpower to keep the grin off his face. It seemed Antares was having an easier time doing so. Where Antares sat, poised and stoic, it looked like he short-circuited. When he finally met his uncle's gaze, an understanding passed between them as Antares tilted his head almost lazily. Sirius chuckled and leaned back in his chair, feigning a sympathetic look.

"Sometimes secrets are best kept hidden," he explained. "Especially when they involve certain... rendezvous?"

"Rendezvous! Is that what you call them? " Lupin snapped. "I should have known better. You always denied being involved with her despite always being around her."

Antares watched the exchange with amusement, his lips curving into a smirk. He understood his uncle's game and was more than willing to participate.

"You know I never did ask," Antares spoke. "Did you properly court my mother?"

"Heavens, no," Sirius exclaimed.

"Padfoot!" Lupin snapped.

"What? She never wanted to get serious," his friend smiled.

Antares fought the grin that threatened to take over his face.

"Two respectable purebloods having a secret love affair and then having a child out of wedlock," Antares said with a faint sigh, "Could you imagine the scandal?"

Sirius couldn't hold back a snicker, enjoying the incredulous expression on Remus' face. Antares was playing his part perfectly.

"Ah, yes," Sirius chimed, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "My parents would have gone mad if they found out."

"Just to think," Antares said. "Orion and Walburga's perfect pureblood son destroying the family reputation."

"At least you got sorted into the right house," Sirius mused.

"Mm-hmm," Antares hummed. "Like father like son, or so they say."

Lupin's brows furrowed in confusion as he tried to make sense of Antares' cryptic remark. His mind raced, attempting to piece together the puzzle presented before him. Lupin looked between the last two members of the Black family, a look of realization emerging on his face.

"Regulus?" he said in disbelief.

Antares could only smirk in response.

"About time, Moony," Sirius snickered. "I mean honestly, me and Marissa?"