XXXI. A PURE-BLOOD POWERHOUSE

✯      ✯      ✯

✯      ✯      ✯

      The first Hogsmeade weekend of the year saw Antares back in the Three Broomsticks. Madam Rosmerta was delighted, offering him a private booth and a glass of Lichleaf — on the house. While he declined the booth in favour of his regular table, where Adrian sat in wait, Antares' wasn't one to turn down a free drink.

"Took you long enough," Adrian teased as Antares approached him.

Antares slid into the seat across from his friend. "I had to dodge a couple of enthusiastic first-years on the way here."

Adrian's eyes glinted with amusement. "You were on the cover of The Willow, mate. 'Pure-Blood Powerhouse: Antares Kelly Exposes Hogwarts Classroom Scandal' — you've officially made the tabloids exciting."

Antares chuckled, shaking his head at the headline. "What can I say; things were becoming boring. How's Wiseacre's treating you, Adrian?"

"Same as always," his friend said. "They have me doing more than stocking shelves and answering owls now, so I can't really complain."

Antares raised an eyebrow, feigning surprise. "You mean you have potential?"

Adrian leaned back in his chair, a grin playing on his lips. "I know, shocking, right? Turns out I'm not just a pretty face after all."

"I bet you managed to charm your way into it. Funny, considering you could never charm your way out of detention."

"I'd like to see you weasel your way out of a detention with McGonagall," Adrian snorted, taking a hearty sip from his glass.

Antares grinned. "Luckily, I will never have to. We're coworkers, and now that I have made front-page news, we're practically best friends."

Their banter continued effortlessly, a familiarity born from years of friendship. Antares and Adrian met in their first year at Hogwarts, introducing themselves during the boat ride. Where Antares was more formal and enjoyed his privacy, Adrian countered it with his laid-back nature, not afraid to stand in and speak up for his friend when needed. By the end of their second-year, Antares no longer felt the need to withhold his opinions, but that only doubled the amount of silvery barbs one heard from the duo. Throughout their education, along with Vita, they became inseparable.

"Do you ever miss being a student?" Antares couldn't help but wonder, starting his third pint. He switched his drink once he realized he had no intention of making curfew.

Adrian's eyes sparkled with nostalgia. "All the time, mate. The pranks, the Quidditch matches, sneaking into the Forbidden Forest—"

"— and nearly getting expelled," Antares added, smirking.

Adrian shrugged. "No risk, no reward," he declared happily.

"True. Back then, our biggest concerns were passing exams and dodging Filch," Antares nodded.