XIV. DEMANDS ON ALL SIDES

✯      ✯      ✯

      ✯      ✯

     In the dimly lit office of Severus Snape, the Potions Master and Head of Slytherin House, Antares sat leisurely.

The walk over had been pleasant. The portraits had greeted him with friendly smiles and many congratulations, as had Professor Flitwick when he saw him at breakfast.

Potions ingredients still lined the shelves, but a few new additions seemed to have made their way into the collection. Vials upon vials containing brightly coloured liquids filled every corner that caught his eye, and Antares let a slight smile tug at his lips.

He remembered when Adrian smashed a whole set of them, not wholly on accident. Antares bet his friend he couldn't do it without losing house points from Snape, a challenge he was all too eager to accept. It was well known in Slytherin House that Adrian had a reputation for never backing out of a bet, no matter the consequences. For reference, Pucey failed to appease their Head of House after breaking the vials, lost twenty points and spent detention scrubbing cauldrons.

"Am I interrupting a trip down memory lane, Mr. Kelly?" Snape inquired, seemingly aloof.

Antares chuckled softly, the memories still playing vividly in his mind. "Not at all, Severus."

Antares let his amused look drop in response to Snape's glare. Perhaps he was pushing his luck, but after his run-in with Minerva, he knew he could ease up on his façade. After all, he was no longer a student— but a colleague and teacher. "Please continue," he nodded.

"I will not tolerate mediocracy in my classroom," the Potion's Master forewarned. "You are to maintain a high standard for all students."

Antares stopped himself from rolling his eyes. It was the one downside to this job, the actual teaching. While most of his schedule adhered to Harry's, being excused from Divination and History of Magic meant he had to spend those hours with other students. Other than the fifth-years, he had one seventh-year class— a N.E.W.T. level Astronomy class, a first-year Potions class and a block of third-year Ancient Runes. For most of it, Antares didn't mind, but he didn't have the best impression on the younger students. Slytherins rarely did unless they were other Slytherins.

"And when it comes to the fifth-year students," Snape continued, "they are at a crucial stage in their education. I expect you to challenge them. Potter is no exception."

Antares raised an eyebrow at the mention of his newfound ward. It was no secret that there was a rivalry between the two. As far as anyone knew, it was unfounded. It did, however, with the aid of Draco Malfoy, further drive the wedge between Gryffindor and Slytherin.

"I suspect Harry has ideations about becoming an Auror. He has top marks in Defense Against the Dark Arts, which is curious when you consider that every professor has tried to kill him," the boy shrugged.