Chapter 5

It was lunchtime the next day, and I was just about to go downstairs to the cafeteria when Jenna walked in.

"Hi Ashley, is Mr Carlton here?" She asked, looking nervous. She was wringing her hands together and looking around everywhere like as if Mr. Carlton might pop out from behind the shelf any minute to surprise her.

"No. He went to court he won't be back until after lunch." I told her. I took out my wallet, making sure I had enough money to buy myself some food before I stood up to leave. "Did you want something, Jenna?" I asked her. I was really hungry, so I was feeling impatient towards her as she just stood there, not saying anything.

She sighed, looking like she really didn't want to be here. Then slowly, she slipped her hands inside her pants pocket and took out another slip, offering it to me.

I looked at the piece of paper in her hand and then at her face. She looked pretty upset. Like she really didn't want to be doing this. I sighed as well, as I, too, didn't want to be in the middle of this, and I also hated having to turn people away.

"I'm sorry, Jenna, I can't take that." I told her. She gave me a panicked look when I said that. " Mr. Carlton told me to throw away anything else you sent him."

"But you have to take this! You don't understand, I'll get fired if I'm unable to get this delivered to Mr Carlton!" She said in a panicked tone, really confusing me.

"Wait. These aren't from you?" I asked her, reaching out for the paper. She gasped, her eyes going wide. She snatched the paper from me and almost ran out of the office without a word.

This has got to be the weirdest office ever. Passing notes to your boss, making passes at him, and getting fired if you don't do those things? I thought this was a law firm, not a dating show. There is absolutely no professionalism here. Sometimes, I wonder if Mr. Carlton and I are the only ones who actually did any work around here.

Well, anyhow, I'm hungry, so I just shrugged those thoughts away, hurrying towards the elevator to go get my lunch.

...........

"Ashley, can you get me all the files on Hampton's case and also try to get him on the phone right away, please?" Mr Carlton said, bursting into the office like a tornado, two hours later striding towards his office without a glance towards me.

"Right away, sir," getting up immediately from my desk to collect everything he needed before getting his client on the phone.

But just as I was about to, the door burst open again, and Sasha Richards, daughter of Mr Richards, Mr Carlton's partner, breezed in. She was a beautiful woman in her early thirties, with long jet black hair and smooth and flawless fair skin.

She was dressed in an elegant white dress which reached up to her mid thighs.

I had seen her only once. She was with her father right outside this building, getting in the car with him. I had no idea what she was like, though.

"Ollie baby, I don't like your secretary here, she is not compatible with her job, you should fire her." She said, giving an introduction of herself pretty nicely for me. I was left with my jaw hanging, staring after her.

She went right up to Mr Carlton, pressing her body against him, wrapping one arm around his neck and placing the other on his chest, looking up at him through long thick lashes and smiling flirtatiously up at him.

That's so much good looks wasted on someone I thought as I took an instant dislike to her. I don't do that normally, but I'll make an exception this time. She just threatened my job after all.