Chapter 30

The room was completely silent, and my heart was ready to leap out of my chest as my eyes stayed rooted on my son while he stared right back at me, giving me his mischievous smile. I was way too scared to question it.

Oliver made his way to the dining table and sat at the head of it where we were on either side of him. This was now our usual seating arrangements.

He didn't look at us as he placed his napkin on his lap and waited until the maid left and he had filled his plate with food before he spoke.

"What's happening here?" He asked as he finally gave us a glance . He went back to concentrating on cutting his chicken.

He didn't seem to be that interested in the mother and son staring competition.

Liam seemed to be enjoying my discomfort very much as he too slowly went back to eating his food, giving me an evil grin.

I blinked in surprise. Is this really Liam? My normally angelic and innocent little boy?

I reached under the table and grasped onto Oliver's leg in panic. Did Liam know? Was he upset? Is this his way of coping with this situation? Oh my God, what am I going to say to him if he asks?

I was in too much of a panic to notice that I had shocked Oliver.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" He asked innocently, reaching down and holding my hand comfortingly.

My jaw dropped in shock, and I turned my stare to him, giving him an alarmed look.

"What did you just call her, Oliver?" Liam asked, making me give Oliver a warning look while giving his hand a squeeze.

He blinked like as if he had just realized what he had said, quickly turning towards Liam.

Liam gave him a questioning look.

"I said, what's wrong.." he turned towards me repeating, "sweetheart."

He gave me a sly look while I gasped in shock.

"Oliver!" I almost screamed, making him grimace.

"Not so loud ba-"

"Shhhhhh!" I shushed him before he could go any further. "What's wrong with you?" I whispered through gritted teeth, leaning closer to him so Liam couldn't here.

"Why?" He said in a normal tone, making me frown at him, but he didn't seem the least bit fazed. "What's wrong with me calling my gir-"

"Oliver!" I exclaimed, giving a pleading look.

"Alright, alright," he said, letting out a chuckle. "I was only teasing you, I'm sorry." He finally said, letting go of my hand and going back to his dinner.

I sighed with relief and picked up my folk to resume pretending to eat, but froze again at his next sentence.

"Besides, he already knows." The room went silent except for the slight sounds of the forks scraping the plates as the men continued eating like as if a bomb just hadn't exploded in here.

My ears actually felt like it was ringing as I sat there frozen with my mouth agape.

"What?" I finally managed to choke out weakly.

"Yeah, mom, I already know." Liam finally responded.

"H-how?" I stammered. One would think I'm the child here with how awkward and scared I was feeling. After all, I did feel like I had gotten caught doing something wrong.

Both the males stiffened. "We prefer not to go into details about that, thank you. They both said, almost in sync.

"Oh, God.." I said as I covered my face, wishing a hole would form under me, and I could just jump in and disappear.

..............

"Liam?" I called him as I knocked on his door later that night.

"Come in, mom." I heard him say through the door.

I took a deep breath before I turned the knob. Now that Liam knew, I guess I needed to speak with him alone. I needed to be clear on how he felt about me and Oliver being together. He is my first priority, and Oliver has become someone very important to him.

"Hi, honey. Can we talk?" I asked as I peeked in.

"Sure, mom." He said while getting up from his lying down position on the bed and taking out his airpods from his ears.

"Ummm..." I said while trying to collect my thoughts. "Liam, first of all.. I just wanted to say I'm sorry." At his questioning look, I continued to explain. "I was irresponsible. I didn't mean for you to find out the way you did."

"Mom! Can we not talk about that, please." Liam groaned out.

"Ok, ok! God, when both of you refuse to tell me, I can only imagine the worst you know." I said exasperatedly, which only brought out another groan. "Fine! I just want to know, though.. Are you ok with this?" I asked anxiously, searching his face to see if I could see any form of anger or sadness.

He let out a laugh, surprising me. "Mom, I'm fine with it, really. True, you're my mom, and I'm very protective of you. I never want to see you getting hurt again, but that doesn't mean I want you to end up spending the rest of your life alone. Sure, the thought of you falling in love and getting married is weird to me, but that's life, isn't it?" He explained.

I stared at him dumb founded. How is this child so level-headed and mature.

"Wow. Are you sure you're fourteen?" I finally asked through narrowed eyes.

"I don't know, mom," he said, rolling his eyes. "You're the one who gave birth to me, and claimes I'm 14."

"I have my doubts now. I think I'm counting wrong." I mumbled, "but are you sure? I mean, it's Oliver..." I let him understand on his own what I was trying to say. He had become pretty close with Oliver, and I know how important he had become in Liam's life.

"You are happy, right? With him, I mean. He respects you and cares about your feelings." He asked, his eyes showing his concern and vulnerability.

I smiled at him reassuringly ruffling his hair. My son is so precious. He was my weakness, and I was his. I knew that my happiness and well-being were as important to him as his happiness and well-being were to me. I shouldn't settle for anything but the best, mainly for his sake.

I really hope things go well with Oliver and me. If something bad happens, Liam would end up getting hurt as much as anyone else.

"I'm very happy, Liam. Oliver is a good man." I told him, giving him a hug.

"I know he is mom, but still, he is a pretty powerful man, much more powerful than dad even, so I can't help feeling scared." He said, hugging me back.

"There you go, talking like a wise old man again!" I told him affectionately, letting out a chuckle.

"Well, one of us has to be," He said, rolling his eyes and smiling at my offended look to show he was just joking. I shook a warning finger at him and got up to leave.

"By the way, mom, I'm sorry about pranking you at dinner time."

"Oh, yes, I had forgotten about that!" I said, frowning at him, placing my hands on my hips.

"It wasn't my idea, I swear!" He immediately said, defensively, waving his hand in front of him.

"Is that so?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at him. He quickly nodded, his eyes wide, finally looking his fourteen years.

"Hmmm." I said, whirling around and marching out of Liam's room, ready to go give an earful to the man who had tortured me at dinner.

I didn't have to go far, though. He was waiting for me right outside Liam's bedroom. I closed the door and turned towards him.

"You!" I pointed at him, giving him a glare.

"Me?" He asked, pointing at himself, looking puzzled. This time, though, I wasn't going to fall for his innocent look.

"Yes you, Oliver Carlton! Why didn't you tell me Liam knew?..."

_________________________________________

Sorry, sorry, sorry. I'm very sorry. But here you go. Hope you liked the chapter. I was just not satisfied enough with the chapter to post it. Thank you all for your patience 😘