Chapter 10

Our rooms were in the East wing of the mansion - Mr. Carlton has thrown Liam enough glares for us to call it a mansion, and it was a pretty long walk to the dining area.

We were given half an hour to get ready and right on the dot, I heard a knock on my door. I was ready in a knee-length red dress. My short brown curls loose, around my shoulders. I put on my glasses and quickly went to open the door. It was the same maid who had shown us to our rooms earlier.

Liam also came out of his room dressed in a white shirt tucked into brown pants. His unruly brown hair was combed as best as I could expect from him. The maid greeted us both politely before escorting us to the dining room.

I looked around the hallway filled with pictures of people whom I am guessing were the ancestors of the Carlton family. It all looked very medieval,  making me wonder who exactly the Carltons were. Was Liam's guess correct? Were they infact royalty. Nah! They can't be. They are probably just rich, I thought as we stopped in front of a giant double door.

I instantly felt nervous. I glanced down at our outfits, feeling very under dressed. We shouldn't be here among these people. Who are we coming here and invading their home like this? How can I even think that we could just come here just because  Mr Carlton suggested it. Maybe he had just been polite, and I'm the one who took advantage of his politeness.

My overthinking was making me feel very anxious. I felt beeds of sweat pop up on my forehead. I instantly wiped it away. Liam wrapped his hand around mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze. I looked up at him as he smiled down at me.

"Relax, mom, you look beautiful. Let's just go inside and see what these people are actually about. If we don't feel comfortable, we can always leave." He whispered near my ear, trying to make me feel relaxed. I took a deep breath, trying to calm down, and then smiled up at him.

"Look at you being all wise and giving me advice. Isn't that my job?" I asked him teasingly.

He shrugged, saying, "Maybe I have gotten wiser than you now."

I scoffed, giving him a light slap on his arm before straightening up to my full height and entering the large dining room area where the family was waiting.

As soon as we entered, the Senior Carltons' face split into a huge welcoming smile, easing half my tensions. They both came forward introducing themselves to Liam and gushing over him and how big and handsome my son was.. there was absolutely no show of their status. They just wanted to make us feel welcomed, and my heart felt so warmed by their kind gestures.

We soon got seated, and I turned to Mr and Mrs Carlton as soon as Liam got distracted, talking with my boss.

"Mr and Mrs Carlton," I started speaking quietly so that Liam won't hear me. "Thank you so much for having us. You have no idea how thankful I am for yours and your son's kindness. It's only because of you all that my son is sitting here safe and happy and not in the hands of that monster." I said, my eyes tearing up with just the thought of that man and the fate that we could have been in had it not been for Mr Carlton.

I still carried the scars of the wounds caused by David, deep in my heart. They can never be erased. They still came to haunt me sometimes in the middle of the night. I never want Liam to have to live through that nightmare, ever.

"Oh honey, it's ok, you both are safe here with us." Mrs Carlton said, taking my hand in hers and giving it a pat while giving me a reassuring smile. "And we are not allowing you to leave until we are sure that it's safe for you both to be out there again. We don't care how long it's going to be."