| 2.23 |

Around noon I had found Sunghoon wandering up towards the helm, muttering something to Jay. Both of them looking quite serious as they were discussing whatever it was that Sunghoon was talking about. Nonetheless, they both seemed quite dull about it. 

I waited in patience, looking up towards the helm and watching the two boys converse between one another. At some point Jungwon joined me, looking up towards them as well.

"They've been quite secretive today," Jungwon pointed out and I hummed quietly, "what are you standing here for?"

"I was going to talk to Sunghoon," I murmured quietly and he glanced up towards the two once again, "but it can wait... now you're here, I have a question."

"Shoot," he nodded and I glanced around before nodding for him to follow me.

Cautiously he glanced aorund as well before following me to a more secluded part of the deck, where I didn't risk Sunoo and Lin to hear us. Nor Jake who was helping Jiyeon with some rigging by the mast.

"Is Jiyeon alright?" Jungwon questioned and I gave him a funny look.

"First off, I expect you to know that better than me," I reminded him and he only shrugged before looking down towards the mast.

"She's been talking more with you lately," he excused casually.

"No... I wanted to ask you about something," I waved it off, "Jiyeon says you're off since she came back on the boat, especially after the meeting with the Phantôme. As if you're avoiding something or keeping something from her."

"I don't think so..." he shook his head, looking over towards the mast, "Jake is good at helping with the rigging, Lin too. As far as I've noticed."

"You're bad at avoiding subjects," I remarked and he let out a small laugh, "Jiyeon is just worried you're the one that the Phantôme is after. She is not mad or anything, she is scared and worried."

"I didn't mean to," he sighed heavily.

"So it is you!" I exclaimed as if I had busted him with both hands in the cookie jar.

"I don't know... but probably," he nodded before leaning against the rigging behind him, "it just... happened."

"You snuck on land, didn't you?" I questioned and he pursed his lips before nodding quietly, "one of the guards?"

"Yup," he nodded shortly, popping the p as he glanced around, "I think Jay was right when he decided I shouldn't go on land."

"No, really?" I gasped with sarcasm lacing my voice, "what did you do?"

"Well... one guard did notice us," he admitted and I nodded quietly, "ran down to their cell to get them out. Sunghoon was awake, stumbling over his own feet as he was pushed out of his cell, but Jiyeon... she looked so tired. He was shoving her around, gripping onto her arm and hair to guide her through the hallways they had to go through. I just... got mad."

"You're too protective of her," I reminded and he nodded quietly.

"I know," he murmured quietly, "I couldn't help it. I was hidden anyways. So much happened the other crew didn't notice me. The crew easily outpowered the guard and got Jiyeon and Sunghoon rushed away. I stayed behind and you know... killed him..."

"You were gruesome," I reminded and he nodded before rubbing his chin mindlessly.

"I was," he confirmed, "I regret it every passing minute. But at the same time I don't... I'm so tired of people treating her so badly."

"Then tell her," I urged and nudged him with my elbow, "she's only going around and theorizing by now, looking all anxious. She wants to know, but is too scared to ask."

"I almost decapitated him, Soomin," he whispered, shaking his head, "I can't tell her. She'll never talk to me again."

"I don't care. She isn't talking to you anyways as is," I reminded as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"I hate that you're right," he admitted before snickering slightly, "I'll tell her... not today, but probably tomorrow... you don't think they'll throw me off the ship, do you?"

"Of all people they could throw off I think you'll be one of the last," I reminded him, "if I know Sunghoon, he's waiting for any reason to throw Jake over board."

"Sunghoon is not ready to take over the position as Boatswain yet," Jungwon shook his head quietly, "we still need Jake, whether he likes it or not."

"He won't like it," I shook my head before letting out a small laugh in disbelief, "now I think I'll nag him until he tells me what he and Jay are muttering about..."

Jungwon chuckled in amusement as I rushed off and up towards the helm. Almost making Jay freeze in his spot and Sunghoon go mute within seconds. I wasn't in earshot of their conversation and they had already completely stopped before I had reached them.

"Why? Am I not allowed to know what you two are so secretive about?" I questioned as I stopped on the last step up to the helm. My smile slowly faltering, "I thought the crew was allowed to know everything..."

"Not everything, Soomin," Jay shook his head before smiling slightly down at me, "Sunghoon and I was just discussing some logistics of what to do and where to sail."

"Oh..." I nodded slowly, "so where are we going?"

"It's a surprise," Jay excused and I glanced over at Sunghoon, who just scratched the side of his nose awkwardly, his expression saddening slightly.

"Good or bad?" I questioned in confusion of having seen Sunghoon's expression.

"Good," Jay declared and Sunghoon nodded in agreement.

"Oh... okay," I smiled slightly before leaning ahead on the railing along the stairs, "Hoon, I was thinking the next time we got on land we could take a walk together? Maybe we can find a lagoon again."

"Sounds nice," he nodded with a small smile, "we'll see if we can do that."

I nodded quietly before quietly pushing myself away from the railing and quietly walking down the steps once again, glancing up at the two boys who just watched me leave by myself.