7. Spill the Tea

My grandma's room was bigger than the average bedroom in the church. I guess that Papa must have really liked her to give her a room that not only had a simple bed, closet, and desk in it, but also a table with chairs, and even a fireplace. I couldn't blame Papa for that, because my grandma was one of the best humans to ever walk this earth. After the drama in The Great Hall, I immediately rushed to her room to tell her everything. Swiss, being the worried friend that he was, had followed me there.

''That's quite a story.'' Grandma said, while she put her teapot on the round, wooden table we were sitting at. ''It's often the person who you'd suspect the least. Someone who has gained so much of your trust, that you're too blind to see that it was them all along.'' She poured the tea into small, striped, pink and white teacups, almost spilling it literally. For a moment I was concerned that Swiss might have burned his tongue when he immediately drank the tea, but then I remembered that he's a ghoul, and thus, doesn't care about the extreme heat.

''You mean that Rain could have done it?'' I asked. Grandma nodded. ''I hate to break it to you Eve, but sometimes people aren't who you think they are. I don't want to gossip about your boyfriend like this, or, how do you millennials and Gen Z people call it? Spill the tea? My point is, I thought that I should warn you.'' Swiss shook his head. ''With all due respect, Rain would never disrespect The Clergy like that. That's just not him. Although I must admit, he's been acting different lately. More... Angry?''

I thought back of when I first met Rain. He was a shy ghoul who didn't say much to me at the beginning. But I could always feel him staring at me, and not in a creepy way. From the moment I met him, it was like we both knew that we were made for each other. The shy ghoul didn't turn out to be that shy once I actually got to know him. We could talk for hours about music, books, and other things. Whenever I was telling him about a story I was writing, he'd always listen carefully. We'd often make out by the lake in the forest. Sometimes he'd even crack a dirty joke. He'd regret saying it afterwards 99 percent of the time though. His cheeks would turn red, and he wouldn't even dare to look at me in those moments. Embarrased for even having thoughts like that. I'd kiss him and tell him that it's alright, and that he's funny, and that he's the ghoul I trusted the most out of all of the 8 billion people in the world.

There was no denying it, Swiss was right. Rain had been acting different lately.

''I saw him a couple of times that day, he did have the chance to steal my key. But it couldn't have been him. Maybe he's stressed out for some other reason.'' I said, while staring helplessly at the teapot. ''Then why wouldn't he just tell you?'' Grandma said, she grabbed my hand to show me that she cared about me. "My dear child, I'm just saying that it could be a possibility. That doesn't mean that it actually was him. But it makes sense why he lashed out on you in The Great Hall, saying that you shouldn't even try to find out who did it, for your own safety."

Grandma was right, Rain was a little too upset about the fact that I tried to find out who did it. If he was really concerned for my safety, wouldn't he be happy that I brought Swiss, Dewdrop, and Roy along?

''You are right. You both are. As much as I don't want it to be true, it all makes perfect sense. Swiss, I think it's time for us to abuse my power of being able to sneak into everyone's room once again.'' I said, after I took a sip of my tea. ''Not so fast!'' Grandma said. ''Don't just break into his room like you did when you thought that it was Phantom. I see that you've learned nothing! You should ask him about it first. Maybe... You could take him on a date? It seems like you have some making up to do. You know, after you threw his hot soup all over him.'' ''He didn't care that it was hot!'' I argued. ''Not the point.'' Grandma said. ''The best thing to do right now is to take that boy on a date and tell him you're sorry. Then, talk to him about the stolen money and the key. See how he reacts. If he acts suspicious, you can sneak into his room to go through his stuff. If he acts normal, you don't do that. Think about what I've taught you when you were just a little kid. Basic respect, Eve.''

''So, do you know where you'll be taking him on a date?'' Swiss asked.

I thought about it for a moment. Because the ghouls physically couldn't cross the invisible border in the forest, we had to have the date in the church. There were countless of beautiful places in, and around the church. The garden would be a great option, but we have had dates there before. I could also just simply take him into my room so that he could... Do things with me. No, it needed to be more meaningful and romantic than that. Then I thought back of the day my keys were stolen. I had cleaned a room of the church I had never been in before. It was the room in the highest tower of the church. I remembered it having a ton of windows, letting in all of the light surrounding the dark walls of the church.

''How about the highest tower?''

Swiss smiled, like he often did. His smile was not just any smile, it was a broad smile, showing almost all of his white, sharp teeth. ''That's an excellent idea! I'm going to have to change into a suit with a bow tie and get my tray. I'll be your waiter for tonight.''