20. No One Has Life Eternal

''Kärnan? Kärnan are you there? Please don't tell me that you're murdering innocent people again.'' The voice of a woman said, she sounded like she was annoyed. I couldn't see who it was, all I could see were my hands holding Cobra's, who could let go of me any moment now. ''Oh my Satan, seriously? Not again! I told you that you should try to be a nicer ghoul! I'd rather die than having to fix everything once again! Come on, help your poor victim up.''

Cobra let out an annoyed sigh, but did exactly as the woman said without any complaints. He tightened his grip on me, and tried to pull me back into the tower. His other hand was trying to grab my arms when he accidentally scratched my left eye. The intense pain in my eye almost made me let go of him, but he grabbed me before I could fall to my doom. I had never been so relieved as when I felt the warm stone of the church back underneath my feet once again. ''Eve! Oh Eve I'm so glad that you're still alive!'' Rain wrapped his arms around me and started kissing my forehead. ''I love you, I love you, I love you.'' ''I love you too.'' Rain quit kissing me for a second to look at me. ''Eve, your eye, it's-''

''Quit being so wholesome and let me speak to my grandson.'' The elder looking ghoulette said. Now that I could see her, I noticed that she was holding a walking stick. It must have taken her ages to come up the spiral staircase. Or maybe hell grandmas were faster, because she was still a ghoulette in hell with powers. ''Kärnan, why don't you just listen to me? I told you, there is nothing you can do to save me. Murdering innocent humans isn't going to help that. And seriously? Out of all people here, you choose to murder the weakest? You are pathetic, Kärnan. You could have at least tried to kill that big strong one over there.'' She pointed her stick towards Aether, which caused her to lose her balance. Cobra reacted quickly, and caught his grandma before she fell to the ground. ''But he threw a banana at me!'' He protested. ''Don't you dare ruin my final moment, please lay me down on the warm ground now.''

I could see in Cobra's eyes that he did not want to let her go. ''Final moment?'' He asked, I had never heard his voice sound so vulnerable before. ''Yes, I prayed to Satan this morning, I asked him if he could let me go today. This sickness is killing me, I only wished that it killed me faster.'' ''But grandma-'' ''No! This is my decision, not yours. I appreciate that you love me so much that you were willing to steal for me, but you have to understand that sometimes, no amount of money is enough to save someone. And you can't save me by hurting others. You have to learn that no one has life eternal, Kärnan. Sometimes people we love die, and that's okay. This is the moment of just letting go. I'm 86, I've had a great life. Now quit whining and put me down, so I can finally rest without having to deal with you killing everyone again. I'm ready to say hello to my friend Death.'' ''Grandma... If you must go, then please go in my arms.'' Cobra cried softly, not wanting anyone to see him cry. His grandmother just rolled her eyes at him. ''Fine. But only because you are my favorite grandson.'' ''But I am your only grandson-'' ''Exactly.'' She slowly closed her eyes, and Cobra started to cry harder. He didn't care anymore about the fact that everyone saw him as vulnerable as he could be right now.

Suddenly, his grandma opened her eyes again. ''Oh, I almost forgot. You!'' She looked at me. ''For the love of Satan, please bring him to prison.'' ''I will, Mrs...'' ''Mrs Aurum.'' She completed my sentence. ''Well, it has been nice here. But now I'm tired of being the one who always fixes everything in this shithole named hell. Goodbye everyone.'' She closed her eyes for the last time, while everyone was silent. The only thing I could hear were Cobra's cries as his grandmother's body went numb in his arms. ''Grandma...'' No reaction from her. ''Grandma!'' Cobra screamed, his scream was full of raw emotion. His grandma was all he ever cared about. And now she was gone.

Her death did not just affect Cobra, but it had an effect on all of us. I had never seen someone die right in front of me. I don't think any of us had. We might not have known her, but it was still weirdly emotional to see her dead body in the arms of her grandson. I looked at Rain, he was staring at the ground. Cobra's painful screams were already too much for him, he couldn't handle seeing him holding her. Dewdrop, on the other hand, was looking at them. I could see a tear escaping from the corner of his eye. Aether was hugging Sunshine, and Mountain was hugging both Cirrus and Cumulus. Swiss was holding Aurora's hand, who had a hard time seeing all of this happen right in front of her. Phantom just stood there, not sure what to do.

We all stood there for about 10 more minutes until Cobra finally looked up from his grandma to look at us. ''We should... We should probably go back to earth now, because Eve's time must be running out. Eve, do as she said. Put me in prison, please.'' ''Of course I will.'' I said. We all walked down the spiral staircase, Cobra still carrying his grandmother. ''Eve, you eye has turned white.'' Rain whispered in my ear while we were walking through the church. ''Like Papa's?'' I asked. Rain stared right into my eye. ''Indeed, like Papa's.'' At the moment I couldn't care less about what the color of my left eye was. White, blue, purple, red, or rainbow, I just wanted to go back to earth. Not much later, we were in The Summoning Room once again, and I held onto Rain as Papa un-summoned us.

''Eve! You're ba-'' Roy immediately stopped talking when he saw Mrs Aurum's lifeless body. Nali was so shocked that she put her hands in front of her mouth. ''Is she...?'' Cobra slowly nodded. There were 4 guard ghouls, who walked towards Cobra. ''We will bury her.'' A guard ghoul said to Cobra, as he took Mrs Aurum's body over from him. The other guard ghouls put Cobra in handcuffs, and were holding him to make sure that he didn't run away. Not that he would, the person who he loved the most in the entire world had just passed away in his arms. He was grieving.

''I see that you have been successful, Eve! Congratulations to you, and your new eye color.'' Papa said. ''And...'' He turned to Cobra. ''I'm sorry for your loss.'' Cobra stared at the ground, not wanting to make eye contact with the man he had stolen from. ''No, I should apologize to you. To everyone here. I'm so sorry for what I've done, grandma was right. There was nothing I could do for her, no amount of money that would be enough to save her. I should have just kept quiet, but instead... Instead I did this. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for stealing the money, I'm sorry for lying to you all, I'm sorry for bringing Rain into my mess, I'm sorry for spreading the rumor that Eve did it, I'm sorry for trying to kill Eve twice, and I'm sorry for attacking all of you. I'm a fuck-up. I deserve to spend the rest of my days in prison.'' ''I could never understand why you would try to kill me.'' I said. ''But I do understand that you loved your grandma. I wouldn't know what I would do without my grandma.'' ''Please, spend some more time with her, now you still can.'' Cobra said. Rain held my hand. ''I wish I could have spend more time with mine.'' ''I will.'' I said, as the guard ghouls lead Cobra out of The Summoning Room. ''Goodbye everyone.'' Cobra said, before he turned around the corner.

''Why does she have a white eye now? And why are you congratulating her with it? I liked her blue eyes just fine.'' Roy said, while giving Papa a confused look. It was almost like Sister Imperator heard Roy's question, because she walked into The Summoning Room at that exact moment. ''Eve, Papa has told me about the adventure you were going on. And I see that you have succeeded. Congratulations on your white eye. I will be taking you to my office right now.'' ''Actually,'' Rain said, ''she hurt her head pretty badly during the fight. We should go to The Hospital Wing first.'' ''Fine.'' Sister Imperator said. ''But come to my office as soon as possible.''

We won. But it didn't feel like it. Someone died. Sure, it might have been an old lady who I didn't even know, but it was still a sad thing to be a witness of. I also felt confused. Why was my left eye white now? What could this mean? What was Sister Imperator going to tell me?

Rain held my hand as we walked through the halls of the church. ''Don't worry. I can see that you're sad and confused, but you did it! You actually did it! You went through hell once, and when you got back you decided to go through hell again!'' ''I only did it for you and the rest of the ghouls. And I would do it over and over again if it meant that I could keep you safe. You save me, and I save you. Time after time. It's just how our relationship works.'' Rain smiled at me. ''During the fight you told me to save the sweet stuff for when the fight is over. And the fight is over now, so it's time for the sweet stuff. Even though I told you not to come back for us, you did it anyway.'' I shrugged my shoulders. ''Of course I did. Did you think that I'd leave you all to die in hell?'' Rain shook his head. ''No, because I have known you longer than today. You're a woman who makes her own plan. A woman who's strong enough to face the dangers of hell.'' ''I almost died.'' ''Yes, but you didn't! And that's what I like about you.'' ''That I'm not dead?'' Rain let out a small chuckle. ''No, that you make your own plan, and you will work as hard as you can to succeed. No matter how dangerous your plan might be, and how many mistakes you make along the way, in the end you always succeed.''

He stopped walking for a second, his hand slowly stroked the side of my face. ''You're really my kind of woman.'' He moved closer to me and pressed his soft lips against mine. For a moment I forgot all of my worries. All I wanted to do was to be with Rain and tell him that everything was going to be alright, no matter what the problem was. We could fight our way through it, as long as we were together.

-The End-

🎉 Je bent klaar met het lezen van Between Heaven and Hell | A Rain-Ghoul Fanfiction 🎉