𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐸𝑙𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛

Moments later, the splashing water was heard in the king's bedchamber. A fireplace glowed in flames to view George standing naked under the dressing gown that Anastasia sorted it out for him. His feet were dirty while her feet remained the same as his. She did not want to look after herself, so she decided to look after her husband who was twitching as he mumbled softly.

The sponge was in her hand as she washed the dirt off his body while Reynolds was washing on the other side. Brimsley was standing in the distance away as he looked after his queen, "If Your Majesty prefers to retire, Mr. Reynolds and I--"

Her eyes revealed boldly to her right-hand man as she interrupted him, "Am I not permitted to wash the king?" Her eyes shifted to the sponge that was cleaning the dirt off of his shoulder.

"It is just not usual."

"I confess I still have to learn about palace procedure. For instance, I just pulled the king out of a hole in the vegetable garden where he was busy discouring with the sky." She snapped her furious eyes to Brimsley who was annoyed about the orders given to her. "Is that usual?"

Brimsley lowered his eyes in guilt before Reynolds shared a look with him. Anastasia returned scrubbing the dirt while George was mumbling as his eyes were lost in the distance. She couldn't help but stare at him with concern and frustration. Her lips pressed together to contain the emotions inside of her that were ready to burst out in tears.

"No, Your Majesty. The king has not been himself lately," said Reynolds.

Her voice began to crack as her eyes set on the men who were quiet, "What is this? What is happening!? What has happened to my George!?!" Her eyes returned to him as his eyes remained in the distance, breathing heavily while she was trying to read his mind. She wanted to know the full story.

George's mind, heard her voice breaking. The whispers in his head remained strong when he began to tell his story from his mind. From the very beginning, from a week before the wedding.

***

From the field, King George and Farmer George was lowering above the horse that was laying on the grass. Dressed in his usual farming clothing while the legs of the horse were tied in a rope. A farmer was untying the rope while he talked to his friend, Crosby. "He has a strong will. A mind of his own. Cuts his own trail now and then, but nothing better for driving a plow. Purpose-bred on my farm at Richmond." 

George was petting the head of a horse as he whispered the comforting words while Crosby responded, "He is a beautiful creature, Your Majesty." He hummed in agreement until he heard a hesitant voice, "Though I confess..."

George looked up, then comforted the farmer. "Go on, speak plainly."

"I'm used to the old ways. Oxen are so much more predictable."

"Is he free?' George asked the farmer who informed him that the horse was free.

He clicked his tongue, letting the horse rise up to stand. He patted him softly before he continued talking to Crosby with his hands on his hips, "When you see that two of these horses can accomplish in a day what took a team of oxen a week you shall learn how easily old habits die. With the new plows, the Dutch are--"

"Excuse me, Your Majesty." He turned to see Reynolds who was approaching him in the field, which he had never done before unless it was urgent news. "It is the Dowager Princess. You're needed at the palace."

"Tell her I'm busy in a field."

"I'm afraid she insists. I believe..." George waited for him as he hesitantly informed him. "I believe she's found you a bride."