𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑇𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦

Under the stars, Anastasia's eyes peered up when the time grew longer. She received terrible news from her sister, Charlotte. Lady Danbury refused Apolphus's proposal, and she knew exactly why she ended up in the mess. Her heels exited the palace to meet with Brimsely in front  of her. He bowed down to her with a soft smile, "Your Majesty. It is a glorious ball."

"It is... We have succeeded. All of us. May I share my thoughts with you, Brimsley?"

"Of course, Your Majesty."

"I know your secret."

"Pardon?"

"I know you love Reynolds." Brimsley's face went pale white while his eyes widened with fear. All she could ever show was a smile, then he parted his lips before he was interrupted. "Before you asked me why I know, it is because we are equal. The same, are we not? I have noticed your parted eyes with sorrow every time you return to the palace to mail letters to my husband.'

"Love is not made for appearance. It is from within. The beauty of love is what is inside your heart that matters. Concluding enough that my husband and I appear to be different, brown and white, but our hearts remain the same. Love is love, Brimsley, that is all. I cherish you... from the moment you vowed the five paces behind me."

His eyes were filled with tears as he was hiding the secret that was weighing on his shoulders for years. She took steps forward and held his white glove hands as she smiled sweetly at him. "It shall be okay. You are here with me." He nodded softly as he sniffed his tears softly.

"Is there anything at all I can do for you, Your Majesty?"

"Enjoy the party." Brimsley bowed his head down to her before walking off. Her eyes stared into the distance, breathing deeply in the fresh air. Then her eyes shifted apart to see Lady Danbury walking down the stairs in her glorious golden gown. She was walking toward the carriage, then her voice raised up toward her. "Lady Danbury."

"Your Majesty. Thank you so very much for the--"

"You refuse the Duke. Give him hope of union, of happiness, then break his heart at my ball. At my home. Now the Duchess is currently sobbing with tears to witness her brother's broken heart."

"Your Majesty, I--"

"His humor may lack wit. And yes, his condescendence knows no bounds. He is, however, a person of fine character that was dreaded my sister's freedom, no doubt. Which is odd that in your position I know well of finding much worse options, yes?"

"They could indeed, Your Majesty. Please accept my apology. Tell me what I might do in order--"

"He will survive, I am sure of it. I do accept your apology. My concern is what I suppose to do with you. Since I am dimwitted enough, it bothers me so much that you did not come to me with your concerns. Your fears regarding your inheritance. Your title. The fate of your family. Of all the families recently titled."

"I apologize, Your Majesty. I only didn't want to place my burdens on top of your own. Yours which seem so..."

Queen Anastasia stared directly into her eyes silently, then she proclaimed her voice as well as her heart. "We are one Crown. His weight is mine, and mine is his. One crown. We rule for the welfare of all our subjects. New and old. Rival and foe. Tilted or not. You once told me that I was not a little girl anymore and that I have to withstand my throne to be a queen. That my castle walls are too high. You are not a little girl that was arranged wed to the lord in order to fulfill your parents' status. I tell you the walls are too high. High as the sky, if necessary, to protect you. To protect all our worthy subjects.'

Lady Danbury looked at Anastasia who was taking the stand pridefully. Her mouth parted speechless as she continued to listen. "I suggest you shift your fear into faith and come to us with your concerns directly. To do otherwise would suggest we are incapable of addressing them. Unless that is what you believe... Lady Danbury.'

Her smile blossomed with emotional tears while Anastasia shared a soft smile with her. "You are free now. I shall send for you soon." Lady Danbury curtseyed down with parting words of her title, then stepped in the carriage.

Queen Anastasia watched the carriage go as she stood alone on the path. Turning her back, smiling warmly as she made her way to the palace yard. The moment she walked up the stairs, she saw Charlotte socializing with ladies and the lords. She was not sobbing with tears, she was embracing the moment in her position as the Duchess under her moor blood.

Hearing the fainted footsteps who were walking behind her back, her steps were on the path to see George and Reynold having a conversation. Batting over a sip of champagne, Reynolds kindly refuses the offer from him. The king's man stepped out of the way while she shared eyes with Brimsley who smiled softly toward his man.

Her left eye winked at him while she grinned at Brimsley before he walked away with Reynolds. Turning her eyes to George who offered a glass of champagne to her, "Finally, someone who will drink with me."

She smiled widely, "I will not."

"You refuse me as well."

"I do."

"Nonsense. You must."

"I must not." Anastasia giggled softly when she pushed the glass away, then she parted a few words. "For a while."

His eyes widened with realization while she continued to smile heartily. He put down the glasses on a tray with the servant. Continuing looking down on her womb as she spoke her mind, "The stakes are too high. The fates of too many rests on us securing your line."

"Our line." Her brown hand touched his white hand, then let them caress her womb. George called her name with a smile as she smiled along with him. They chuckled in delight before their eyes united together as they sparked with joy. "You and me."

"And them."

"And them."

The queen caressed the king's face softly before she pulled him for a kiss. A kiss that was so touching and embraceful. His hands cupped her cheeks while their hearts mattered in a blossom. Her lips parted below his lips and whispered three words that gave him so much light.

"Shall we disappear?"

***

From the very beginning, liberation was the awakening start for a new life. It wasn't just for one soul... it was two. The two souls were running through the grass with joyful laughter. Escaping the life that they both knew. Escaping the royalty that consumed their worthiness in their armor.

Instead of heels, there were bare feet. Instead of a suit and gown, farming clothing and a blue dress with a pink scarf. Being open and free from the shackles they lived in, and being consumed by one another. There were two souls named George and Anastasia. They were not a king or queen.

Just George and just Anastasia... finally soaring through the night winds.

Their hands were held as the lights faded from their backs. The stars above them began to sparkle enchanting. At last, they were finally in the liberation they craved for. Longingly for.

Each of their separate lives was a burden, but they came to one another and embraced each other hard. Knowing that they were going to be lost in a world where they don't belong. Their arms collided together as they embraced the given vows from marriage and from love.

He pulled her in his arms, spinning her around upon the meadow. Hearing the laughter that he adored from her mouth, then he stopped. Leaning down for a kiss, then he lowered down to his knees. Never letting go of the passions they shared, then softly laying her down on the back.

She looked up to see him hovering over her, then he lay beside her. Their eyes peered up at the stars that were sparking in the sky as their hearts sparkled. Their hands rested together, then he shifted his eyes toward her. Her eyes shifted toward him. Their breathing was calm and free.

His arm rested around her shoulder while she let her head on his shoulder. Never taking their eyes off the night sky that was so breathtaking. Their warmth, their touch, and their souls were standing above the universe. No matter the titles they were given upon the thrones.

They finally belonged...  evermore.