Gravitated Towards Trouble

- (Y/n) P.O.V. -

We were riding in the truck for couple of minutes now. There was no tention between the girls, but I could tell Max was uncomfortable with the silence, tapping her foot, shifting in her seat from time to time and frantically looking at the trees outside, so I decided to mix it up a bit with a simple dialoge.

Me: "So, Max, I felt you used your powers in the morning. Mind telling me why?" - the sudden question made Max turn to me, studying my face for a second before responding.

Max: "Well, I just spilled soda on Kate's book, no big deal." - she responded, making Chloe chuckle.

Chloe: "Same old clumsy Max. Wanna hear a story from an amusement park, (Y/n)?" - she said, making Max go into defencive mode.

Max: "Hey! We promised not to talk about it!"

Chloe just chuckled more, getting ready to tell the story.

Chloe: "So, my ninth birthday. Mom and dad took us to the amusement park, and I have to say..." 

Max: "Chloe, please..." - pleaded Max, sensing her self-respect fading in memories of her older self, but Chloe continued undeterred.

Chloe: "...that was one hella of an amusement park, almost every attraction was worth riding. And I wasn't the only one thinking that: the whole place was loaded with people, you can't throw a shoe without hitting someone there." - she said, making Max groan slightly and hide her face in her knees, trying to hide behind her hands, while I just looked at Chloe, listening and slitly tilting my head.

Why a "shoe"?

Chloe: "Me and Max were fairly excited, so we ran ahead of my parents and the first thing this goofball had done is trip on air and knock a line out of five people to the ground. Not something you see everyday, but I got used to it by that point, even though her yelp was hillarious. Few minutes after, we ride the rollercoaster, screaming, raising our hands up, the whole package, that is until certain someone gets hit with her own shoe in the face." - Chloe laughed, slapping the wheel with her left hand, while Max tried to shift further from me and closer to the window.

That's why "shoe", I get it now...

Chloe: "Well, that's not all, the shoe succesfully went into the crowd while we were riding and I think Max got scared for her shoe more than during any of the rides there. Naturally, we went to get it after the ride ended. The moment Cinderella gets her shoe, she remembers a bag with goodies she left in the trolley, which to our luck was alredy on the move. The next thing I remember is me laughing my ass off while Max stands pouting with a cupcake splashed on her head."

Chloe was now laughing, emersed in a memory, while when I looked at Max, I could see her red ears. I couldn't contain my smirk, but still wanted to comfort Max to some extent at least, so I placed a hand on her head.

Me: "Come on, Max, we all get our fair share of embarrassing stories from our past." - I patted her on the head with intention of providing comfort.

Chloe: "Why don't you share yours, then?" - she said, slightly nudging me with her elbow, slight smile playing on her lips.

Me: "I don't think I remember any, actually." - Max gave me a blank stare, poking her head out of her hands.

Max: "Oh, yeah, you ''magically'' don't remember." - she said, her voice full of sarcasm.

Me: "It's really hard to embarrass yourself when you see the future, you know?" - I answered nonchalantly.