Fourteen

Hecate stormed towards me where I was stood frozen, barely out of the car. I cowered as she opened her mouth again and brought her hands up, either to hit me or grab me.

"I was going to get her to drive me to the shop, we're out of a few things."

Laz's even voice from the passenger seat stopped Hecate in her tracks. She pushed me against the car and her gaze shifted from anger, to suspicion, to irritation.

"Go on then, get back in the car." She snapped.

I obeyed, slowly dropping back down into the seat. I really hoped Laz and I weren't actually going to go out alone. His questions were making me extremely uncomfortable and I didn't want to give him any more opportunities to press for answers.

"I need my bag, get the garage door open ready."

I nodded, but she was already swinging the door that led to the kitchen open with force and disappearing back inside the house. Relief washed over me. I would rather tolerate her inevitable cruelty and desire to humiliate me at every opportunity than be stuck with Laz. Better the devil you know. Or Demon, in this case.

I avoided looking over at Laz in the passenger seat. I knew in truth I did owe him, he had essentially lied and covered for me. Hecate would have gone livid- beyond livid. If he'd admitted to finding me sitting in the car alone, my hand turning the keys to the ignition.

"Why did you cover for me?" I murmured, almost inaudibly, still not looking at him as I found the garage door remote in the side pocket and pressed the top button.

"I didn't think it would help to have you end up back as a bloodied pulp on the carpet.." His voice was more matter of fact that holding real concern.

I didn't respond. I waited in silence and watched the metal door fully retract upwards.

Hecate came back into the garage, bag over her shoulder. She locked the door behind her and pulled open the door to the back seat.

"Okay, let's go."

I was surprised that she was happy to sit in the back alone. Perhaps she was in a good mood. Surely Hecate couldn't stay angry forever, not when I had been working so hard to earn her forgiveness, almost-attempting-to-escape not included.

I started the car and pulled out of the garage. I wasn't actually sure where we would be going but I assumed Hecate would give me directions or name one of the usual shops. Catching sight of my bruised reflection in the sun-guard mirror, I pulled a pair of sunglasses out of the driver's side pocket and slid them on.

"Go to the shop in the retail park, with the camping place."

The camping place? Hecate's words made little sense to me. They wanted to go to a camping store? I bit back a bitter laugh at the thought that they were going to kick me out of the cage and put me in a tent in the garden. Who knows, it might even be nicer.

It wasn't a long drive, a little over 20 minutes. It'd been awhile since I'd last driven and I relished in the opportunity to see a bit of the outdoors. I took my time, feeling less anxious with Hecate in the back seat instead of right next to me. I parked us up in an empty space a few rows back from the large grocery store and switched off the engine.

Hecate and Laz both opened their doors and I stayed in my seat, unsure if they would want me to wait in the car or go with them. Knuckles tapped on my window and a voice told me to get out, swiftly providing me with an answer.

I stepped outside and locked the door. I wasn't sure if Hecate had really thought this through, my sunglasses would cover the healing black eyes but the split lip she had given me and the bruise on my cheek were certainly going to garner unwanted attention.

"In here first." She lazily gestured towards the outdoor clothing and equipment place opposite. They both started walking over and I trailed behind them.

"We'll only need one tent, really. Nothing too small though."

Hecate's voice was ringing out, but I kept my head down and stared at some of the lower shelves.

"This one." A moment later a plastic bundle was shoved towards me. It was a packaged tent and it was pretty bloody heavy. I grasped it with both hands and held it against my stomach to try and balance some of the weight.

"And an air mattress?" Laz sounded as though he was making an effort to be engaged. I gathered he was actually in the know about what on earth was going on.

"Definitely. Just a double."

They moved across the store and I followed begrudgingly. There was a woman browsing the display of walking boots and I could feel her turn and stare at us.

Hecate moved past Laz to dump a new item on top of the tent in my arms. I winced but it was less heavy than I had expected. She looked back towards him.

"Anything else?"

"Sleeping bags?"

I wanted to ask what this was for. Clearly some kind of camping trip or maybe a festival.

"I already have two." She smiled at him. I can't remember the last time she had smiled at me like that. It was a warm, charming smile which made her look sweet and angelic. The gaze slowly shifted into something else; her head lowered a little and her lips moved into a kind of smirk.

"Not that we'll need both.."

My mind flooded with the memory of the last time she looked at me like that. It made my heart twinge. I turned to look away as Hecate leaned suggestively towards Laz and kissed him.

I let my eyes roam over the hiking equipment, waterproofs, thick coats and thinner macs. I was half tempted to clear my throat or something. Who starts kissing in a store? That was my jealousy talking. I didn't say anything. Hecate in a good mood was too much of a rare and precious gem.

Just as I was about to put down the tent and air mattress they finally separated and headed towards the cashier desk. I followed, Hecate took the top package out of my hands and placed it on the counter. Laz took the heavy tent bag off me just as the first was being scanned. I hovered near the back, keeping out of the way so as to reduce the chances of my bruises drawing unwanted attention. No doubt I would be in trouble if someone started asking questions.

Hecate paid with a card. She thanked the cashier in a similarly charming tone as before. I wished she'd show this kinder, gentler side of herself more. I wondered if it was just me that received the ice cold glares and blazing anger, and just Laz who witnessed it. It made my head spin to think how different she could be.

The bags were quickly lumbered my way again and I followed both of them out of the store without a glance towards the cashier.

"We'll put those in the car and then go and then head over there." Hecate gestured over to the grocery store passed the car. It was merciful by her standards.

I placed both items down carefully and fished out the keys to unlock the car. I opened the back door and one by one moved them into one of the footwells. When I stood back up, Hecate was looking at me. It was the first time she had properly paid attention to me instead of that dismissive half glance or a hateful stare of disgust and anger.

Her green eyes looked calm. I pushed the back door of the Vauxhall closed without breaking eye contact. I didn't want to squander this. This was progress, right?

"We're going to a festival next weekend." An explanation. It was more than I was expecting. I nodded slightly, not wanting to risk angering her by breaking the rule about not speaking.

"You're coming with us."

Oh no.