Four

I woke up in the corner just outside the door. I was curled up, trying to stay warm the best I could. Near the back door was the most sheltered place in the garden, but it hadn't stopped the rain in the night from soaking me through.

I'd been so shocked when Hecate shut me out, that I'd stayed there for a good couple of minutes. Convinced this was a joke. It wasn't. I sat outside for what must have been hours before I realised she really was leaving me out here. In the cold.

Hecate had become progressively worse over the years. I remember back at the institution, she was more wary of me. Friendly, even, until she learnt that she could stare me down, and force me to drop my gaze. There were arguments, raging arguments, I'd cuss at her, refuse her what she wanted. Once tried to fight her. That was the first time she bent my arm behind my back. By the time she left, Hecate could snap her fingers, demand some water and I'd run to the kitchen to fetch it for her. Anything for a second of her attention. That's what she does to people.

I uncurled myself. Dawn had broken through and there was finally some sun appearing. The weather had been cold and windy all night. After I had fallen asleep once, with difficulty, I was woken by the incessant rain and tried to shelter here under the door.

Hecate's punishments were becoming more and more cruel. She'd never done this before. It scared me how easily Hecate would get angry at me, what was I doing to upset her? I had to make her happy again, or she'll be the death of me. The Queen would never let her do that to me, I worship the Queen.

As I leant against the brick wall, the back door unlocked and was opened. I sat up attentively, until Laz stepped outside with a cigarette and lighter in hand. I curled in towards the door, protective of myself and humiliated that I was wearing nothing but soaking wet underwear.

Laz looked towards me. As we made eye contact, I acknowledged him by bowing my head respectfully. There was silence as he lit up his cigarette.

"She put you out here? All night?" He glanced my way.

"Yes, sir."

"Go in and have something to eat, I won't tell."

I looked at the open doorway. It was exceedingly tempting to go inside and stuff my face. But after last night, I wanted to do everything I could to keep Hecate happy. If it's early, she won't be up for awhile yet. I paused. I didn't want to be indebted to Laz, or let him have anything he could use against me.

The hunger pains won, I stood to my feet awkwardly, shivering from head to toe with my arms folded across my body self-consciously. As I walked through the door, I could feel Laz's eyes on me.

Once in the kitchen, I made some toast, stole cereal out of each of the packets, had a banana and some hot tea. I couldn't remember the last time I had been allowed tea. Maybe when Athena used to come and see me back at the institution.

I sat in the kitchen for a fair amount of time. Laz came back in soon enough but I was busy making food. I ate as much as I could, trying to make it subtle as possible as for what was missing.

The moment I heard heavy footsteps, I ran back outside and closed the door behind me. Kneeling on the grass outside the back door, it was Hecate's footsteps, the way she strutted across the floor. Panicked, I waited.

It wasn't long before she swung the door open. I bowed my head to her.

"Come inside, I want some coffee."

I stood up immediately, but as I went to pass her she stopped me. Hecate raked her nails through my hair, pulling my head back briefly.

"You're soaked, go and have a shower."

That itself was a privilege.

"Thank you Mistress." I hurried to the downstairs bathroom. I wasn't allowed to use the upstairs, with the real hot water. I was confined to the downstairs bathroom, and the shower with the water that was barely warm.

I was extremely quick, I had to be. I found myself some clothes and went back to the kitchen.

Hecate was making toast.

"Kneel." Now she was going to feed me. I got on my knees beside her and she pushed small pieces of toast in my mouth like she was feeding a dog. I had to accept it. Anything to keep her in this good mood.

"I am very sorry for wearing makeup yesterday, Mistress."
Hecate stopped and looked down at me.
"I promise it will never happen again, Mistress, without your permission."

She smiled. It was one of those moments when all I could do was long for her kindness, and her affection. How she kissed me those handful of times. Of all her punishments, and torments, seducing me was the worst of them all.