Five

I laid in my bed, thrilled at the privilege of being allowed back in it. I had a tiny room, upstairs, with nothing in it but this little bed. It wasn't comfortable, I could barely roll over without falling out, but it was so much nicer than the stone floor or that rotten cage.

One of my ankles was chained to the post on the bottom of the bed. It was one of the Queen's rules. If both of them were asleep, I had to be tied up. Not even Hecate would dare to question her orders. Luckily for me, Laz barely slept at all.

I turned over onto my side and bent my free leg so I was curled up as much as possible. It was getting light outside, and without curtains, or blinds, the sun made it impossible to go back to sleep.

Laz would be awake soon, maybe if I asked nicely he would let me sleep somewhere dark for a few more hours, until Hecate woke up. Laz would never directly interfere, but when possible, he would allow me small things to make Hecate's treatment more bearable. I still didn't understand why.

I didn't look at him when he appeared in the doorway. He walked over to the bottom of the bed, and unlocked the chain off of my ankle. Laz pulled it away without touching my ankle at all. As he turned to leave, I thanked him.

He turned back to me.

"...Sir." I dropped my gaze.

I could see him smiling a little out of the corner of my eye. Then he left again. I felt the sore mark on my ankle, and then got up. I wanted to find somewhere dark to sleep but I didn't dare ask. Besides, I needed to finishing cleaning the kitchen, I hadn't got around to mopping the floor the previous night.

I hurried downstairs, stole a piece of bread from the cupboard because Laz was outside, and then fetched the mop and bucket. Floor didn't take long, I cleaned the oven, the fridge door, made Laz a coffee when he asked, cleaned the sink, the microwave, put the empty bottles into the glass bin.

Hecate woke up earlier than normal. I was on my way to the bathroom to steal some soap for my clothes, when I heard her through the open door.

"Come and brush my hair."

I went to the door.

"Me? Mistress?"

"Yes, you idiot."

I walked through the door, Hecate was sat at her desk. She threw the hairbrush at me, not too hard. I picked it up and stood behind her. As gently as physically possible, I pushed it through her long blonde hair, taking extra care not to pull her head. It was a rarity, an honour.

"Do you like brushing my hair?"

I see what it was, today she wanted to pull on my heartstrings.

"Yes Mistress, I would do anything to make you happy."

I could see Hecate smiling in the mirror. Her expression changed.

"That's good, because you're going to do everything I want you to, until I get bored, and throw you out."

I almost dropped the brush.

"You don't mean that."

"Why wouldn't I? You're a useless piece of shit."

Now I dropped the brush. It shouldn't have hurt this much.

"Hec-"

"No. You don't get to call me that anymore. You're nothing but a dog at my feet. Go on, get down!" She spat at me and glanced towards the floor in front of her.

Where was this coming from?! I shouldn't have talked back, but she upset me. I could stand the smacks and the insults. But to threaten to kick me out? Knowing I had no freedom and that I belonged to the Queen, who would undoubtably punish me for failing to serve Hecate.

I knelt down slowly, until I was sat resting on my legs. When I looked up, Hecate stared me down until I had to drop my eyes back to the floor.

"Pick up the brush." Oh no. I did as she said.

"Give it to me." I knew what was coming.

"I'm going to have to hit you, you know that, don't you?" I nodded silently, looking up at her. She had her fist clenched round the brush.

"Look over there."

Hecate waited, I shook my head. If she was going to hit me for this, I wanted to look her in the eye whilst she did it.

She stared at me for a couple of seconds, then brought her arm back and walloped me across the face with the brush.

I cried out and my eyes started watering.

"Don't disobey me. I can't stand it. If you become a disobedient little bitch I'll drown you in the tank."

I was shocked beyond belief.

"You wouldn't. I- You couldn't do that to me!"

"No one wants an insubordinate rat." She was smirking, but Hecate didn't make empty threats.

"But the Queen's rules! I belong to her!"

"So what? I can do what I want."
I shook my head.

"That's treason! I'll tell her what you just said!"

"No you fucking won't!" Hecate went to grab at me, I moved back quickly, stood up and ran out of the room and down the stairs.