One

Hecate dropped a roll of bread onto the ground, just next to my hands. I was sat on the cold, hard floor and she stood above me. I looked up at her, my ankles had thick chains and they pinned me to the ground.

"Be grateful I'm feeding you at all."

She held a glass of water above my head and tipped it over me.

"I know how much you love water."

I whimpered and curled up, putting my arms over my head protectively.

"Eat it. Now." She put the toe of her high heeled shoe over my foot threateningly.

I quickly bit into the bread, as soon as I swallowed she grasped hold of my hair and yanked my head up towards her.

"Do you like it?!"

I nodded, Hecate seemed satisfied enough. It was just a cruel flare, it would pass. She had chained me in the cellar twice before, it was just her getting angry again, she'd let me out once she realised there was no one else to wait on her.

There was Laz, but he wasn't going to do anything for her. He was her new lover, tall, thin, dark-haired. She lusted him, adored him. And I was nothing, just a pet that used to belong to her grandmother's sister. Her favourite and most loyal pet.

I'm not sure how long I was in there, but the aching pressure against my ankles was relentless and the darkness left me almost completely blind. Hecate came back, she was still angered, having glared disdainfully at me, she pushed me further into the ground and told me that she was going to leave me here to starve.

That upset me, I knew it was just a blaze of anger, and she didn't really hate me. I might've been essentially her dog, but I still adored her. Hecate was beautiful. Her long blonde hair, green eyes, the way she snapped her fingers. I'd loved her from the moment she pulled me into her control.

It didn't take long for hunger pains to set in. She didn't feed me much as it was, and starving me was another punishment for her being in a foul mood.

When Hecate next came back, I begged for something to eat. She brought me into the lounge, and shackled me to the radiator next to the sofa Laz was lying on, in the centre of the living room.

It was a nice house, Hecate bought it after she left schooling, and she brought me with her.

I was never given to her. She chose me, I think she liked how I would consistently irritate her and therefore give her reason to hurt me. I was Hecate's toy for almost two years; when she left, she wanted to take me and because of her bloodline, her want was law.

Out of the blue, Laz came through from the kitchen, reached down, and handed me a sandwich.

"Eat it quickly, she's in the shower."

I obeyed, and gulped down the food as though he was going to snatch it from me. I didn't understand why he was showing me this kindness. Normally he didn't involve himself in Hecate's treatment of me.

Laz looked down on me with his dark eyes, I couldn't read his expression, but he watched me for a second, until he heard Hecate coming down the stairs.

She stared at me for a second, and I bowed my head to her. When she was angry, it was best to just be as respectful as possible and wait for it to pass. Her mood seemed to have improved, she stopped to think for a moment.

"Get me a drink, would you?"

I bit my lip nervously.

"I can't move, Mistress." It was probably the wrong thing to say. Sometimes it's very obvious I was not born a slave.

Hecate took the key out of her pocket and unlocked the chains with aggressive impatience. I rubbed my ankles, and go to my feet, ready to go to the kitchen.

She stopped me.

"No, not yet. First I want you to think about how you speak to me."

It was then I noticed Laz in the corner, his eyes were fixated on both of us, like he was intrigued to see what we were going to do.

SMACK. The force of it almost knocked me off balance.

"Something distracting you?"

"No Mistress." This was a power display now.

"I want you to know exactly where you stand."
Hecate glared down at me, harshly, her eyes were enough to burn your spirit to ash, but I had seen her gentle side.

"Kiss my shoe." She moved one of her feet forwards.

Laz stayed spectating, we had an audience, and Hecate was taking the perfect opportunity to humiliate me.

I lowered myself onto my knees before her, and crept forwards. I was going to do it. Of course, I had to do it, her power over me was extensive and she could break my own free will.

I leant over her foot, lowered my head and kissed the top of her shoe.

I could feel her smirk, the way she moved her head as she looked down on me, and then kicked me in the face. It wasn't a complete shock, but it did bloody hurt. She'd succeeded entirely; won the power battle, and reduced me to a humiliated heap on the floor. But she was a Demon, and I was only Human.