𝐢𝐯. INTERLUDE 。

SUMMER was alarmingly different to what misty was accustomed to. she had spent most of her life on the east coast, so her wardrobe didn't exactly befit such weather. luckily she had a new acquaintance that loved an opportunity to shop, and she could use it as a way to get closer to the slayer. it had been a week or so since the collapse of sunnydale high, and despite misty's willing help, there was still tension among them. so asking for some styling help seemed like a good idea. the first shopping trip was certainly an experience. and thus began the duo's frequent trips to sunnydale mall. misty assumed that buffy only agreed because she was in need of new clothes for college but willow disliked coming to the mall, along with the fact that her and oz were such a close thing. yet her beloved vamp had ran off to los angelos.

"so, do we finally talk about what you actually want to talk about now?"  misty asked before depositing another fry into her mouth. the girls had sat down at a table for two, so they could give their feet a rest and grab a bite to eat. they had spent an hour or so shopping, so there conversations had mainly revolved around that, along with buffy's transition to college. the slayer took a sip of her soda.

"do you cross the entire country to meet random girls regularly or?"  buffy joked, somewhat. misty couldn't help but let out a chuckle.

"no, this was my first time doing this sort of thing."   misty smirked at the blonde, who seemed resistant to mirror such, but ultimately, she caved.  "and seriously, you're not exactly a random girl, you're the damn slayer!"  she whispered with emphasis. she wasn't wrong and buffy knew that.

"but before here, didn't you leave anything behind?"  buffy questioned, her motives and nature were still shrouded in mystery, which left a bitter taste in buffy's mouth.

"nope,"  misty's reply was blunt.  "my dad died like a month before, so i didn't have anything tying me down."  misty spoke with enthusiasm but quickly realized her mistake. "wait, i'm not happy he's dead but we didn't have the best relationship. so i always just felt indebted to him."

misty then disclosed more about her past to the slayer over their food court lunch.  "both of my parents were witches, but my mom died not long after i was born so it was basically just me and my dad."  not exactly true, she had the council watching over them.  "and he was very adamant about me learning magic, i had started casting spells before i even learnt to write.this was true, yet she didn't say how she basically burnt two of her cribs to a crisp, so it was pretty important for people's safety for her to learn how to control it.  "though giving a child such power wasn't the most stable thing, i struggled with it, especially the nightmares. well, that's what i used to think they were, until i figured out they were premonitions. but my biggest regret was telling my dad."  misty took a break, sipping on her soda, buffy offered her condolences and asked to hear more.  "well, once that news got out i was quite the desirable witch to have on people's side."  misty made sure to not mention the council, she knew that if she did tell her, then she would have to tell her the other secret.  "and so once my dad died, i thought i should probably keep moving, i ended up doing a lot of tarot reading for people. it was mainly complete bull, people don't want to hear the truth and telling someone bad news doesn't result in good tips. i learned that very early on."  misty chuckled, trying to lessen the seriousness of the story.  "but that i had that vision, of you and the school, so i came."

"wow, that's a lot."  buffy took a deep breath and her eye contact wavered.

"i know, i'm sorry, i just want you to know i'm not here for any nefarious reasons."  at least, not yet, she wanted to add but knew it wouldn't be in good taste. after all, she was trying to win trust, she couldn't just immediately sabotage it.