The Crash

"So what were you doin' all the way out here?" JJ asks, still suspicious as Portis turns on the engine. The seven of us sit cramped in the haul, leaning against boxes and netting. I shiver, remembering the last time we were stuck in something like this. JJ pulls me tight to his side, lacing his fingers through mine. "I got a little guide outfit in Saint Vincent," Portis says. "I was spotting fish," He says. "What were you spotting?" JJ asks, careful to keep his voice nonchalant.

"You know, the usual," Portis grins sheepishly. I throw JJ a worried glance. "Wahoo," He finally answers. John B swallows, turning his head slowly to catch JJ's eye. He shakes his head in a very small motion so only we see it. "I'd hang on to something. Gets a little spicy on takeoff," He calls, looking back at us. We take his advice, grabbing onto the dangling handles. JJ keeps one arm tightly around my waist as we pull into the air. 

~~~~~~

As soon as the mainland comes into view from the air, people start talking on Portis' headphones, loud enough to where he won't be able to hear us. JJ glances around at everyone, nodding and raising his eyebrows. Kie, Cleo, Pope, and Sarah scoot towards us stealthily, their faces curious. "Wahoo don't run in September," JJ hisses, his voice low as he leans in. "Ever. Alright?" He nods. "So whoever this man is, he's not a fisherman," JJ shakes his head. Sarah takes a deep breath as she leans back and Kie's mouth parts slightly. 

"Maybe the run just starts earlier out here?" Pope suggests warily. "Are you sure about that? In the Carribbean?" JJ asks.  "No, I know what this is," Sarah says as Cleo raises her eyebrows. "He's working for my dad," She says with a shrug, her voice low. "And he's probably been looking for us the entire time," She swallows. "Alright, well we gotta find out," JJ nods, biting his lip. "Start looking for... some sort of...," He trails off, his eyes finding a brown bag on the back of Portis' chair. "Clues," He breathes. 

JJ nods at John B, gesturing for the front seat as he unhooks his arm from my waist, pressing his back against the wall. John B clears his throat. "Hey! Jimmy," John B calls, leaning forward over Portis' other shoulder. "Yeah! What's up?" He calls over the roar of the engine. "How long you had this bird?" John B asks. "Oh, about ten years now," He says. JJ reaches forward, lifting the top of the bag. "How long you been flyin'?" John B calls. 

"Oh, I've been flyin' all my life," He says as JJ lifts a few things from the bag. "Uh, who's, uh, that, uh, that lovely lady right there?" John B asks, struggling to keep the distraction running. Portis laughs happily, pointing at a photo. "Oh-ho! That right there? That's Cynthia!" He says cheerfully as JJ shuffles through different books and papers from the bag. "Cynthia?" John B asks. "Yeah...," Portis nods. JJ picks up one book with THE LOSS OF EL DORADO written on the front. "And, uh- what about that beautiful girl right there?" John B asks, pointing to another photo. 

"Huh?" Portis calls over the roar as JJ flips through the book, looking for something that could help us. "Oh, that? That's Stacy!" Portis calls as JJ pulls out a picture form inside the book. "Oh! Oh, your- your sister?" John B asks. JJ swallows, gritting his teeth as he angles the picture so that we can also see. The Costal Venture stretches across the frame, floating on deep blue water. The exact same ship we jumped off of a month ago. 

"No, no," Portis laughs. "No, she's just this girl I met in Saint Lucia," Portis laughs as Sarah takes the photo from JJ, her hands trembling. "You ever been there?" Portis calls loudly. "The Costal Venture, oh, my God," Sarah breathes. "Huge Marlin there. You gotta go," Portis continues to John B. "This is the boat we were on. With Eberhimi and the cross," Sarah clarifies as John B turns to look back at us. 

"So he was looking for us," Cleo says with an annoyed roll of her eyes. "Exactly," JJ says. "He's working for my dad," Sarah panics, grabbing the handle to steady herself. The entire plane shakes and we all bump around. "Hey, ya'll better grab a hold of something! We got some unexpected turbulence up here!" Portis calls. We do as he says, JJ's arm returning to my waist.