The Gold

"Is that...?" I whisper suddenly. I don't get to finish because JJ slaps his hand over my mouth. Ward's voice is unmistakeable, only a few yards away now. JJ nods his head, and very slowly moves forward. We push through the bushes to reveal the scene in front of us, or rather, above us. The five of us duck below the rock, barely able to see Ward above us, his back to us. He points a handgun at my dad, who's on the ground, muddy and bloody, covered head to toe in sweat. I cup a hand silently over my mouth. 

John B is next to him, standing, but equally covered in mud. Sarah stands in front of John B, an enormous piece of gold in her hand. They found it. They found El Dorado. It takes everything in me to keep from gasping. "You have it all, don't you John?" Ward asks, stepping forward. He uses a cane, limping. His injury must be the reason he flew with them here in the first place. JJ holds out his hand, telling us to wait. "Now you get everything, huh?" Ward asks, keeping the gun aimed at my dad.

He keeps the pistol on my dad while reaching his hand for Sarah's. She gives him the piece of gold and he tucks it to his chest. "Thank you, sweetheart," He nods. I try not to spit through my clenched teeth. Everything good, he's going to take. I won't let him take my dad too. JJ senses my impatience. "Wait," He mouths to me. "You get to go home, back to Kildare," Ward continues. "Live happily ever after," Ward shakes his head, his back still to us. My dad looks slowly up from under his eyelids, and I think he finally sees us, but if he does, he doesn't show it on his face.

"With you son, who loves you," Ward whispers, pistol still aimed. "And my daughter...," He rasps. "Who hates me," He whispers. Sarah bites her lip as she watches him, her eyes starting to tear. "I'm sorry, John. I don't think I can allow that," Ward says, shaking his head quickly, over and over again. "Alright, so, what are we gonna do?" Pope whispers under his breath, making sure we're far enough away that they won't hear us. 

"Is this ride or die?" JJ whispers back. I look at him, my lips trembling. "P4L," Cleo whispers, taking out her machete. "P4L," Pope whispers, also taking out his machete. "P4L," Kie repeats, removing hers. JJ shakes his head. "P4L?" He says as more of a question, looking at me. I bite my lip. "Fricking P4L," I nod, taking out my machete too. JJ takes my hand. "You're supposed to be dead," Ward pants, keeping his gun aimed on my dad.

Big John closes his eyes, as if he's too tired to respond. I pause for a second, wondering what's wrong with him. "I think I liked you better that way," Ward whispers. The gun cocks. JJ lets out a scream, running up from behind the rocks. The rest of us follow, also yelling. The four of them turn to face the five of us. Shouts erupt between the five of us and Ward as we circle around him, machete's raised, and he faces us, gun pointing from face to face. 

"Stay back! Stop right now!" Ward screams. "Put it down!" Pope yells at him. "Back! Back! Stay!" Ward screams. "Put it down!" JJ, Kie, and I shout. "Stay back! Stay back!" He screams, swinging his pistol around. "Put it down!" I shout again. "Put it down, Ward!" JJ screams. "Stay back!" Ward continues screaming. John B, Sarah, and my dad look around at us wildly, obviously they didn't see us before and are just as surprised as Ward.

"Come on! You're outnumbered Ward!" JJ screams. "What are you gonna do, shoot us all?" Pope spits as we stay tight together, machete's still raised. "If you gotta shoot somebody, Ward, shoot me," My dad calls, his eyes on me. That's when I notice his hands pressed against his stomach, blood covering them. I take a staggering breath, stepping back slightly. Ward turns back to him, his pistol raised. John B steps in front of his gun. "Or me," He whispers. 

I have to squeeze my eyes shut for a second before opening them again. Ward's hand shakes as he glares at John B, taking a threatening step forward. "Stop," Sarah says calmly, stepping directly in front of the barrel. "Enough," She says, walking forward even more so that the gun is pressed against her chest. "Don't!" Ward screams at her, but he doesn't drop the gun. "You're not gonna kill all of us," Sarah says, her voice shaking and her bottom lip trembling. "I know you won't," She says, her voice catching.