The Siamese Mix

It doesn't take long for us to get to wherever we're going. Kitty Hawk or whatever the shit. I stop screaming soon after we leave Kie's house. I have to clear my mind. I have to think of a plan of escape. I clutch the ring around my neck tightly as we pull up to a large gate, more men in gray t-shirts outside of it. A big sign sits in front of us. Kitty Hawk is written on it in big white letters with a rainbow next to it, and a smaller sign hangs underneath, reading, 'Adventure Therapy'. 

The man standing next to the sign holds up his hand to stop us and the wheels screech. He comes up to the window, holding a large clipboard. "I have Kiara Carrera," The man driving my car says. "Go ahead," The man with the clipboard nods. We pull past the sign and down a long dirt path. I watch where we are, taking mental pictures of everything around us in case it will help me later on.

We pass girls working in gardens and planting trees and I cover my mouth with my hand, unbelieving. Finally, the truck stops and the two men that were driving my car get out, pulling me with them by my wrists. I shrug out of his grip and walk the path myself, passing girls mowing the lawn, hanging clothes on a clothes line, and marching in lines up the boardwalk. 

Finally, we reach the end of the boardwalk and a small woman greets us, coming from another direction. I scoff as she leads me to another room. She shoves me in a windowless room, bare on all walls, and tells me that she won't let me out until I put on the t-shirt laid out for me. I decide there's no point in resisting, and I pull the light-green t-shirt with an identical, 'Kitty Hawk; Adventure Therapy' sign on it. I knock when I'm done and she sits me down at her desk. 

"Listen," I start off calmly. "You don't understand, I'm not Kiara," I tell her. "Well, thank you for sharing, Kiara, and, um, thank you for putting on our uniform," She tells me. I roll my eyes. "Like I had a choice," I glare, folding my arms across my chest. "Well, now the good news is, we have a name for your condition," She smiles. "Great," I laugh humorlessly. "ODD," She says. "Oppositional Defiant Disorder," She says. "What is that?" I hiss.

"It's consistent opposition to authority," The lady explains. "Did you just make that up? Sounds like bullshit," I sigh. "As I was saying, consistent opposition," She grins, pointing a finger at me. "Okay, look. I'm not Kiara, okay? Why don't you people understand that? You took the wrong girl. I just went to Kiara's house to find Kiara, who wasn't there, and your men came and grabbed me," I sigh. She smiles softly at me. "Now, fortunately, it's very treatable with medication," She says. "Oh, my God!" I laugh. "I'm. Not. Kiara," I tell her, keeping my eyes on hers.

"See that, that right there. Your reaction. You just confirmed my diagnosis," She says, pressing her brown lips together. I push my hands through my hair, taking a deep breath. If these people refuse to listen to me, I'll just have to find another way out. "Now, we can help you with this. You just have to work with us," She nods. "Right. Um, do you mind if I use the restroom?" I ask in an innocent voice. "It was a long drive," I nod. "Of course. Right there," She smiles, pointing towards the corner. 

I walk slowly into the bathroom and close the door behind me, locking it. I climb silently on top of the sink to the dirty window at the top of the room. I grab the handle and start turning it quickly. It squeals loudly but I keep turning, trying to pop it open. Someone bangs on the door. I turn faster. Why won't this damn window open. "Open the door!" A man shouts, still banging. I keep turning. "Come on! Hey! Open it!" The man shouts. I press my hand against the window, trying to force it open. It doesn't budge. 

The door flies open. "No! No, no, no, no, no! Get off me!" I scream as the two men from earlier grab me, pulling me off the sink. "Get off of me!" I grunt, trying to pull out of their grasp as they grab my arms. "You people are crazy!" I scream at them, cursing Kie's parents for ever trying to do this to her. The men drag me across the yard as I continue to struggle, fighting against their grasps. Finally, we reach a building on the edge of the property and they open the door, forcing me through. 

I look around the dusty abandoned room, filled with abandoned bunk beds and cobwebs. The men leave, bolting the door behind them. The only light filters in through a dusty window on the top of the wall. I breathe heavily, trying not to panic. I pace the small face in front of me, clutching my ring. My attempts to stay calm don't work very long, and soon I feel the hot tears on my face. I try to breathe, staring at the wall across from me as I press my back against the one behind me. I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER is written in black sharpie across the wall. 

I squeeze my eyes shut, falling to the floor and tucking my knees to my chest, still holding onto my ring tightly.

~~~~~~

I'm laying on one of the bunks, using the sharpie I found to draw marks on the floor next to all the other messages, when I hear the door knob rattle. "Kiara? Sweetie?" A voice calls. "Can you come out here?" The voice calls. I jump off the bed, hurrying towards the door. I walk outside on the porch to see a large old woman with gray wavy hair. "I'm sorry, sweetie, but at Kitty Hawk we feel you have the strength to hear all the news, including bad news," She says in a pitying voice. I nod my head with her words, eyes wide. 

"What happened?" I ask, my voice uninterested. "Well, your cousin was here a minute ago," She says. I shake my head slowly. As far as I know, Kie doesn't have any cousins. "Wait, what cousin?" I ask. "A young man, blond," She nods. "He asked me to tell you that Marley, well, he passed away," She says in a whisper, as if she doesn't want to scare me with the news. Her eyes tear up.

"Like Bob Marley? 'Cause...," I start to say. "No. Your Siamese mix, Marley," She says sadly, interrupting me. My brows crease and it takes me a second, but finally, I understand. I gasp, putting on a fake frown. I stick my bottom lip out like I'm trying not to cry. "Aw," She groans sadly. I gasp for air. "No, no," I shake my head, sobbing slightly as I pat my chest as if my heart is breaking. "When?" I whisper.

"Well, we got the news just after you arrived. We thought you should know," She shakes her head sadly. I nod to her words, keeping my fingers pressed to my lips. "Yeah," I whisper, my voice breaking. "Oh, come here," She cries. "Okay," I nod as she wraps her large arms around me, pulling me in for a hug. I drop the fake act, trying to look around for him. "It's okay, it's okay," She says, patting my back. I roll my eyes, laughing silently to myself. 

"Yeah," I whisper as I pull away, pretending to cry again. "You know, I'm actually just gonna need a little more time to process," I nod, my voice breaking. "Oh, take all the time you need," She nods comfortingly. I nod, walking back into the empty reflection room and closing the door behind me. I sit on the bed, smiling to myself. I shake my head. "JJ...," I chuckle.