The Fire

"So... what kind of plane is it?" Cleo grins, laying another domino on the table. "Well it is Ward's, so I'm guessing it's something lit," Pope grins. I lean over the table, watching them play. JJ takes a sip of his beer and walks over to us, slinging his arm around my shoulder. Kie plays her ukulele on the couch behind us, and Sarah and John B are off somewhere else, hopefully making-up... or making-out. "That's what I'm talking about! Flying private, baby!" Cleo laughs.

I smile at them as I drop down on another couch, taking a sip of my own beer. "Hey, y/n/n?" JJ grins, plopping down next to me. "Yeah?" I ask, cocking my head to the side. "I love you," He smiles. "Oh yeah?" I whisper, leaning in to him. I press my forehead against his, grabbing his chin in one hand and placing the other firmly on the back of his neck. "And...," He says. "And?" I whisper, my breath hissing across his lips. He swallows, momentarily distracted. 

"And I can't wait to marry you," He breathes, barely getting all of the words out before he presses his lips to mine. "Mmm-hmm," I sigh against his lips as I kiss him harder. JJ stretches out, slowly pushing me back against the couch cushions until I'm laying down, never taking his lips off of mine. I groan softly against him, sliding my hands up his body and tossing his shirt off. I don't hear any sounds around us... or complaints, so I guess everyone already left the room. 

JJ finally takes his lips off of mine, brushing them along my jawline and down to my neck. He starts kissing my neck but freezes suddenly, his breathing still hot on my collarbone. "What is it?" I mutter as he jerks off of me. He stands up as I sit up, following his gaze. He's peering out of the kitchen window, watching something orange flicker just under the sill. "What is that?" I gasp, standing up and quickly following him forward. "That's a fire," He mutters when the orange flames appear, slowly making their way up the side of the house. "We gotta tell 'em, tell them, tell em', tell em', tell em'!" He shouts suddenly, running for Pope and Cleo. 

"Hey, fire! Yo!" He shouts, searching for Kiara as I burst into John B's room. "Guys! Guys! Guys!" I scream. They both jump up, John B is shirtless and Sarah only wears a bra. "Sorry! There's a fire!" I shout. "What?" John B hisses, jumping off the bed. "Fire? Wait, what?" Sarah shouts as I run out of the room again, still shouting. "Wait, y/n, what are you talking about?" John B shouts as he follows me back into the living room. "Come on! Come on! Get out of there!" JJ is shouting at Pope. "The house is on fire!" Kie yells at them. 

"Wait, where?" Sarah is shouting. It's like a frenzy as everyone runs around screaming, searching for articles of clothing and other things. JJ runs for the door, but he's trapped by another roaring flame as we all continue screaming. "Oh, shit!" Sarah shouts. "Sarah, get away from the door!" John B screams. "Ow!" She yelps as the knob burns her. We all rush around, trying to find an exit as the bright flames roar in the dark night. 

~~~~~~

JJ coughs loudly, trying to clear the smoke in front of his face. "Could've been a faulty electrical wire," Pope murmurs. We watch as another beam from the roof drops to the ground, still in flames. We sit in a straight line, our backs to the large oak tree. Sarah leans her head on John B's shoulder and I sit between JJ's legs, my back against his chest as I squint wearily at the house.

It's morning now, yet the fire still burns in some places, taking the last of the charred wooden house. "Place was all wood. A tinderbox," Kie mutters as I try wiping the black soot from my body and face. It only makes it worse. "Thing just went up," Cleo whispers, her voice inflectionless. JJ scratches his head. "Boom," She whispers.

"Verdict's in, bro," JJ says. "Whoever's up there, does not like you," JJ shakes his head solemnly, looking at the sky. I bite my lip, trying not to let the tears fall as I stare at what used to be my house. "I'm sorry," JJ whispers, talking to John B still, but he presses his face into my neck, trying to comfort me. JJ chucks an empty beer bottle at the remains of the house and it shatters. I sigh, dropping my blackened face to my knees. All of our memories gone, just like that. 

~~~~~~

"Sarah, when did you say the pilot was getting in?" John B asks as we all stand at the end of the dock. "Probably like an hour?" She shrugs. "I mean, once he's here, my dad says we can leave whenever we want," She nods. "Okay, well, as much as I would love to ghost my parents again, I can't," Pope says. "Pope. We're talking El Dorado here. Can't you like- just like, slip out the back maybe?" JJ asks, turning to face him. "Great advice," Kie smiles sarcastically.

"I mean it always worked for me," JJ says. "How to avoid unpleasant circumstances 101. If there's a problem, you don't wanna face it, turn that face and keister around and walk the other way," JJ smiles, squinting in the morning sun. "I'm not doing that, okay?" Pope nods, getting up to leave. "I just want you to be there, dog," JJ sighs. "I'm gonna be there. I'll meet you guys at the airstrip in an hour," Pope nods.

"Yeah, we'll see you there," John B nods. "Wait, one hour, Pope. Not a second later," JJ calls after him. "Think you should let me talk, Pope, think your mom kinda likes me," Cleo grins, following after him. I smile. "I don't think it's gonna be pleasant for either of us," Pope shakes his head. "I'm gonna take a stroll back to the shack, for old times sake," JJ nods. "Coming?" He asks. "Yeah," I sigh. "I don't have my own home anymore, anyway," I shrug, taking his hand. "I always wanted to go to South America. Great surf, cheep weed," JJ chuckles.

"Yeah," John B mutters as we leave. "See you guys on the tarmac!" He calls. "I guess I'll go pack some stuff and break the news to my parents," Kie nods at John B as she follows us, leaving Sarah and John B alone on the dock.

~~~~~~

"Okay, okay, what do we need?" JJ mutters as he rummages around his abandoned house, sniffing t-shirts and tossing them in his backpack. He pauses to look up at me. "I'll uh... I'll put a few things in there for you, too," He nods. I smile softly. "Thanks J," I nod. Suddenly, a loud car engine revs outside. JJ freezes. He jumps to my side, taking my hand. "What the hell?" He whispers, leaning to see out the window.

"Oh, shit," He says when he recognizes the car. "What? Who is it?" I whisper. "Go, go, go, go," He hisses, pushing me in front of him around the corner. "JJ? What's going on?" I ask, staring at his horrified expression. "Shit, shit," He hisses, grabbing one more handful of things to shove in his bag before tip-toeing around the corner behind me. "JJ! Your ol' buddy Mike!" A familiar voice booms from outside. "Oh, my God!" I whisper, cupping my hand over my mouth. "Come on, come on!" JJ whispers, taking my hand and dragging me around a corner so we're hidden.

"You lost my load! Time to pay up!" Mike shouts as his car door slams. I wince. "Alright, we're gonna do this your way!" He shouts when JJ doesn't answer. "Hmm?" He calls. "I'm coming in, JJ! Yeah, I know you're in there!" He shouts. JJ grabs my arm and pushes me in front of him silently towards the back door. "We're gonna do this your way!" Mike shouts as he storms into the house. JJ bursts through the back door, taking my hand and sprinting through the lawn.

"It's gonna be a lot easier if you do it now!" We hear Mike shout as we run for the trees. "JJ!" He screams when we finally reach the end of the lot. "Damn it! Where are you?" Mike's booming voice echoes as we stop running, looking back at the house. "I'm so sorry. You okay?" JJ whispers, running his hands up and down my arms. I nod quickly, still watching the house. "JJ! I'm going to find you! I want my money!" Mike screams as we turn to run again.