The Trail

After Pope, Cleo, and Kie explain to us that they split up with John B and Sarah to look for Jose, the river guide that would take us to El Tesoro, JJ got in contact with Mike, to ask him for yet another favor. He leads us through the jungle now, on the way to another riverboat. "Got anything to protect yourself?" He asks. "Uh, kinda working on that part," JJ sighs. "Here," He says, handing JJ a brown sack. "What's this?" He asks. "Machetes," Mike grumbles.

"You'll need 'em," He says as we reach the boat. "I'm adding the cost of this rig to what you already owe me," He tells JJ. "I don't expect to see it again, anyway. "Look, I, uh- asked around at the landing today," Mike says. "Yeah," JJ nods as we toss our bags onto the boat. "Your buds did leave this morning," He tells us, talking about John B and Sarah. "But I was able to get directions to El Tesoro," He says, handing JJ a folded map. 

"Pretty loose. Only Jose knows the real way, but, uh, get you in the right zip code, maybe," He nods. "It's a start," Kie nods gratefully. "Thanks," Pope nods. "No," Mike chuckles. "Don't thank me," He says. "Start praying," He nods. "And JJ?" He calls. "Yeah?" JJ asks, turning to face him. "You owe me, dude. Ten times," He nods. "Good luck," He says. "Come on," JJ grunts as Mike pushes us off and JJ rolls up the anchor, letting us drift into the murky river.

~~~~~~

"JJ you were right, that's Singh and his men," Cleo hisses as we watch their boat pass through the river. Our boat is hidden on the side of the river, camouflaged in the bushes. "But they're not looking for us," Cleo whispers, watching them. "Yeah, they're moving real quick," JJ nods. "They're lookin' for John B and Sarah, they're gonna know where they're headed," He says as we all stand up, trying to see them as they ride ahead

"We gotta go, they're gonna need us," I say urgently. "Stay back, don't get too close," Cleo tells JJ as he pulls our boat back onto the river. "Wait, so, let me get this straight, Ward Cameron got onto the plane with you guys?" I ask for the hundredth time. Kie nods. "Rafe ran up to the plane with his dad, who was bleeding and hurt. It was his plane, so we couldn't keep him from getting on. The cops were after him, they knew he was back on the island," Pope explains again. "Right... and he stayed on the plane when you guys got off?" I ask, my brows creased in concern. "As far as I'm aware," Cleo shrugs. 

~~~~~~

We reach our destination a day later at sunrise. "Okay, guys, I think this is El Tesoro," Cleo says as we ride slowly in. "The trailhead to the mountain is supposed to start here," Kie nods. "Oh shit. That's one of Singh's guys. What are we gonna do?" JJ whispers, keeping his back turned. "We gotta get past them somehow," I whisper. Pope looks over at the man. It's the same one who came into my room when Rafe and I were 'fighting', Fenton. He's asleep on a boat.

~~~~~~

JJ uses the fishing rod to toss the note onto his lap. The note reads, In five seconds, you will hear a gunshot. That's your warning. The next shot will be at your head. The man reads it out loud. Before he gets halfway through, Pope lights the dynamite, handing it to Kie to toss at him. He jumps, screaming. "Miguel! They're shooting at us!" He shouts to his partner. "Where are they?" Miguel shouts back. Kie pokes her head over the top of the warehouse we're hidden in, full of dynamite.

"Is he buying it?" Pope whispers as they keep shouting. Kie nods. He lights another one, handing it up to her. She throws it. "Shit! We're surrounded!" Fenton screams. He lunges forward, grabbing his gun. "Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit!" Kie screams. "Get down! Get down!" Pope hisses as we all duck. A machine gun fires towards us as we cover our heads, but all the bullets splash in the water, Fenton doesn't know where we are.

"Pope, return fire! Return fire!" JJ hisses. Pope lights, passing it to me. I chuck it through the open window, letting it land right on the dock and explode. "There's too many of them! Lets get out of here! Go!" Fenton shouts as they pull away from the dock on the boat. "Come on, get 'em! Get 'em!" JJ hisses, tossing one more after them. It explodes in the water next to them. "Go! Faster! Faster!" Fenton shouts. "Bye-bye," Pope grins.

JJ grins, pressing his back against the wall. "Think we're gettin' better at this," He grins. "Oh, yeah," Pope nods as they do the pogue handshake. "Hey! Hey! Ain't no time for celebrating. We didn't do nothin' yet," She says as Kie and I follow her from the shack and back onto our boat. "That's fair," Kie says as JJ and Pope nod. The three of us pass them, but I hear JJ and Pope behind us. "I thought we did something... I mean," Pope says. "Yeah, we did. Well-done soldier," JJ grins, doing the handshake with Pope again as they follow us. 

~~~~~~

I hear Pope shout something from up ahead. Him and Cleo are a lot further up the mountain than us, it sounds like. I hear Kie a little bit in front of us, pushing jungle leaves out of her way. I pant, stopping against a tree. "You good?" JJ asks me, turning. "Yeah," I pant, looking further up the uphill. "You think they found something?" JJ asks, taking my hand. "I don't know," I say. JJ leads the way, slicing through more jungle weeds with his machete. 

"You think John B found your dad?" He whispers. "Yeah. I think he did. Why else would Singh be looking for them?" I ask. "I hope you're right," JJ nods as we reach Kie. She slices through more grass until we reach an open clearing at the top of a hill. We see Pope and Cleo at the top, kissing. The three of us look at each other, wide grins on our face. JJ blows a puff of air through his rounded lips, a grin spreading across his face.

I raise my eyebrows at him. "Don't say anything," I hiss, pushing my machete across his chest. "Wh-," Before he can complain Kie whacks her machete forward to move more grass away, making lots of noise so they see us "before we see them". I give JJ a look and he rolls his eyes. "Pope!" He shouts. They pull away. "Hey! We couldn't find anything!" He calls as we walk towards them up the hill.

"You guys find something?" I call. They stand there awkwardly, looking down at us. "Yeah. The path leads this way," Pope finally nods, pointing over his shoulder. "Alright," Kie shouts back. "Okay. We're coming!" JJ shouts. I see the two of them exchange a long glance before we reach them.

~~~~~~

The hike isn't too much farther, and it doesn't take long since we're following the path obviously cleared by Sarah and John B. "Shh!" JJ hisses suddenly, throwing out his hand to keep us from walking forward. "Do you hear that?" He whispers. Voices. In the distance. I listen. "Sounds like Sarah," I breathe, unable to make out her voice, but listening to her light laugh and tones. JJ nods his head forward in their direction. "We don't know who they might be with or what's going on, don't talk," He whispers before tip-toeing through the bushes. The rest of us follow quietly.