Daily And Weekly Check-ups

Daily and weekly check ups for your hammie is one of those things that most people don't know much about when adopting a hamster for the first time. It's actually very important, and can help spot any illnesses or diseases earlier if every day, you check on your hamster with the steps listed below. I hope you enjoy it!

Daily checkup list:

Every day (or almost every day,) take out your hamster and "examine" them.

- The eyes: Make sure there is no sticky/wet stuff surrounding the eyes, and also make sure there is no white-ish "filter" on/covering their eyes. This could mean a trip to the vet. Anything else that seems unusual about their eyes might be an infection, or signs or symptoms of a disease.

- Nose: Just make sure there is no discharge coming from or around the nose. (Sort of like a runny nose. :))

- Teeth: The teeth are probably the most important. If a hamster's teeth are bright yellow or yellow-orange, chances are your hamster is perfectly healthy. If although their teeth are white, or not as brightly yellow/orange as they should be, your hamster could be suffering from stress related issues. It would be a good idea to go to the vet if this is the case, since it could lead to many severe diseases or illnesses.
Teeth Length: It's also good to look and see if your hamster's teeth are nice and short. It might be pretty hard to tell, but if they look overly long, this could result in chewing problems. (To wear down the teeth, make sure your hamster has lots to chew on!)

- The bottom: You want to make sure your hamster does not show signs of any diseases such as Wet Tail. (If you would like any other information on this, please see hamster "Illnesses and Diseases."

- Paws, Ears, and any other signs: always be on the lookout for unusual lumps, sicknesses, etc... The most important places to check as often as possible are the eyes, nose, and teeth though. :)

Checking carefully and safely:
We always have to make sure we don't hurt the hamsters when checking certain things (like the teeth) during the checkup. Since it would be hard to explain in a chapter of a book, here is a link on how to "give a checkup" to your hamster if you are interested.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OmcWSnhYvRI

I hoped you enjoyed this chapter, and I hope to see you soon! I tried my best to explain everything, but if you still have any questions or comments, you can leave them here for me to read. Thx!😀