Chapter Six

I silently placed my feet on the floor, each step forcing me further into the darkness. Deyna's hands were balled up in my coat as she clung on. Thankfully her whimpers stayed firmly in her mouth, which surprised me, even I felt overwhelmed with the urge to scream.

The dip in temperature became more noticeable, the cold air licking at my hands. I withheld a shudder, trying not to show my fear.

I knew something waited for us.

I could only describe it as the electric buzz in the air before the snap.

A snap that was life changing.

Before I turned the corner, I smelled it. That
overpowering fragrance that coated you as you stood in the woods after a heavy rainfall. Damp earth. Wet leaves. Fresh air. We turned the corner, each slow step forcing the hairs on my arms to stand to attention as I caught a glimpse of the thing responsible for such a smell. It was dark, yet somehow, I could see.

How?

I looked behind to make sure. There was no sign of Lester. Where had he disappeared to? Phillip stepped to the side of me. Deyna remained at my back. Grass, as dead as Lester, covered the space in front of us. The brown landscape wasn't very big, but I was still surprised to find grass in this place. The area was surrounded by large, leafless trees. The thick branches of the trees swayed in a wind we had yet to feel. Phillip's body jerked, this movement putting me on high alert.

A person was walking from within the trees. Was the person walking? I wasn't sure, if I focused on the gait then it looked like the person was floating.

"Sure, bring them on," I muttered impatiently. Shock jolted every bone in my spine. A gasp rushed from my mouth when I caught sight of the vibrant sunshine yellow hair.

Her hair.

No.

She couldn't be here.

She didn't belong here.

She shimmered on the verge of the trees. I couldn't quite see her eyes. I had to see the topaz. Holding my breath, I edged closer to her, my need to talk had become too much. Feeling the rush of tears form a thick knot in my throat, I ran, forgetting the dangers of this place and what may lurk around the next corner.

She turned, startled by my sudden movement, and soared through the trees at lightning speed. Stars sparkled in her wake.

"Stephen!"

I could faintly hear Phillip's cries as I ran following my grandmother into the silent woods. The earth moved, rumbling beneath my trainers. I continued to run even though my feet slipped on ground which was as stable as running on a bouncy castle. I'd lost sight of my grandmother. I had to see her, talk to her, if it was only for one minute.

I stopped and found the ground instantly stilled, that certain someone was trying to stop me. I listened, my panting the only noise. I couldn't hear Phillip or Deyna anymore and now that I stood alone with the wind nipping at my skin, I realised I may have made a rash decision.

I turned, searching the woods, but the light was growing fainter. I couldn't understand where the light was coming from, yet it illuminated the thin limbs of the trees ahead. A growl rippled across the air to my left. My eyes latched onto red rubies that fiercely glared from beneath large undergrowth. I stumbled back as the wolf, midnight blue with a dusting of gold, stalked towards me.

I didn't have time to call for help as the wolf push back on its hind legs and launched itself at me, its teeth dripping with saliva, ones that seemed to smile as they travelled with a rapid speed towards my throat. 

💀💀💀💀

Another chapter, yet more danger!

Poor kids just wanted a quiet Friday night!

New Fiest Soul chapters will hit on Thursdays!

Keeley
XOX