Chapter Eleven

I didn't scream like a girl, although I'd expected myself to. The sweet sting from my father's backhand didn't even come close to the pain I was feeling now. It was rolling over me in giant waves as dark tendrils crept into my vision. I wasn't going to faint.

Instead of my own scream, I could still hear Deyna's terrified screams. Before my mind could register what had happened, I felt a considerable weight drop onto my legs. That weight made the talons dig deeper, ripping muscle and flesh. I bit the inside of my cheek and felt the rush of warm copper fill my mouth.

I looked down to see what the sudden weight was and found Phillip clinging on for dear life. We flew higher, but the speed had decreased as the bird struggled with two. Eagles dived, pecking viciously at Phillip but to his credit, Phillip didn't let go.

I couldn't speak, my breath was coming in short gasps. The injury wasn't good, I knew this when I felt copper tasting bubbles pop near my mouth with each shallow breath. Whilst the other eagles were fighting Phillip, they were also making the bird attached to my shoulder jerk and change course. Black spots popped into my vision.

"Phillip... I can't take the pain. You'll have to drop down."

Phillip fought off another attack. "I'm not letting you go!"

"You have to...I can't...breathe."

Phillip shot me a worried look and then glanced below.

The waterfall was now in full view, which meant the drop was a long one. Phillip took a deep breath and then let go. Now that took some serious guts. The eagle rose higher. Its wings flapped, one stroke after another that had the sharp talons dragging at my body. I gritted my teeth, thinking of a way out of this situation. Any movement or fighting the bird would result in more pain.

Brilliant white sparks suddenly circled me and the large fearsome bird. The crackling fireworks from Lester's trail caused the bird to screech in frustration. It changed course, making it feel like my shoulder was going to break away from the rest of my body. Despite the pain, I had never felt happier to see Lester.

"Use your weapon, Stephen."

My mind, numb with pain, hadn't thought of this. My sluggish hands grasped desperately at the gun that was sitting snug in the back of my jeans, I felt like I'd had too much to drink, my co-ordination was all wrong. I pulled at the gun feeling relief when I finally felt the heavy weight. Panting and feeling pinpricks of sweat bead at my forehead, I aimed the gun. I tried not to think about the pain that twisting my body caused.

Forcing myself to ignore the large black spots in my vision and the stalled air in my lungs, I pulled back the hammer and felt the click. I twisted around, placing my finger against the smooth trigger and fired. The force blasting against my hand was something I hadn't thought about. They didn't show that in the films. The gun flew from my hand and fell down into the water.

My weapon was gone. I closed my eyes, trying to breathe. Talons lost their grip as a screech from the eagle made my ears ring. I felt gravity push against my body and welcomed the freedom. I had seconds to think about the fact that I was falling. The water rushed to meet me.

I hit.

The force feeling like thousands of knives stabbing every inch of my body. The surface of the water sped away from me. I pushed my feet forcing my body to go upright instead of sinking further into the darkness I was starting to hate. I hadn't realised the river was this deep.

The second my face broke the surface, I spluttered for air. Another loud crash sent a tidal wave of water over my head, making sure I was sucked back under for a second. I gasped and swallowed water. Spluttering as my lungs forced out the water in gut wrenching coughs, I tried to stay afloat. Feathers floated towards me which could only mean the bird had followed me down.

"Come on, Stephen!" Phillip put his arm around my waist and pulled me towards the edge of the river.

"Wait. Get the bird."

I pulled away from Phillip and began swimming, rather unsuccessfully, towards the large bird.

"Why?"

I pulled at a wing and realised I was going to struggle with it alone. I could feel all of my energy leaking out of my wound. My life's source turned the water red around me.

Phillip helped me drag the large beast to the side of the river. Deyna raced to my side, hugging the breath right out of me. I didn't have the heart to tell her to let go.

"Why... the hell... did you bring...that back?" Phillip gasped breathlessly.

"What else are we going to eat?" I mumbled, my words slurred with pain.

"Are you joking?" Deyna screeched in shock.

The sound made the hairs on my arms stand to attention. I looked up, expecting more of the deadly birds to swoop down on us. Thankfully, it was silent.

"No, I'm not joking, unless you want to starve?" My teeth chattered, I couldn't even rub my arms to try and warm myself up.

My comment was greeted with silence. I didn't exactly want to eat the bird, but I was starving.

"Okay, genius, but how do we cook the thing? I'm not eating that raw," Phillip scoffed.

Phillip did have a point.

"We need wood to start a fire," I wheezed, feeling a bubble pop near my mouth.

Other than dirt and water, we were surrounded by nothing.

"We have Lester's spark attack to help with the fire end of things," I whispered. My shoulder and chest had taken on a heartbeat of its own.

"I have an idea. Please wait here." Lester looked at us individually, daring us to move.

Where else were we going to go? I bit back the sarcastic remark fearful that it would take too much energy to say it.

I realised I could possibly die here.

Lester's eyes stayed on me for a second longer, and then he seemed to disappear into thin air. 

💀💀

I'm worried about Lester and what he's going to do....