Chapter Thirteen

I watched the scene play out from my slumped position on the floor. Was it me or was everyone walking slower? To take my mind off my wound, I let it work overtime thinking of where Lester had rummaged for the supplies. The wood Lester could find, maybe, but the new clothes, dry clothes I was wearing, I was damn sure you couldn't just find them in this place.

Lester was stood over the small fire arranging the wood. Someone had made a washing line so our clothes hung limp on the line near the heat. Lester added more wood as Deyna attacked it with a large stick. Wood popped and hissed, sparking to life. Lester must have done his shooting fireworks act like he'd done with the sconce. Why had I missed it? Were the black spots in my vision becoming more prolonged?

The fire was building, sending heat dancing across my face. This was the only part of my body that felt heat, the rest of it was stone cold. Phillip sat on the floor, his eyes never leaving me. I had looked at the wound when everyone had been busy piling the wood on the fire. The ripped skin and muscle flapped with the slightest movement. It wasn't good. I'd held back a fresh wave of sickness and had applied pressure to it but it continued to pump out red liquid to the rapid beat of my heart. I was surprised my body had any more left to pump.

I watched Lester trying to take my mind off the blood and pain. Lester appeared quieter than before he'd retrieved the wood. What had put him in the mood? Or who? Lester always looked sad or concerned which made me antsy at the best of times, but this quietness was different. I could feel it amidst the cold in my bones thanks to our strange connection.

I shifted my position and hissed in pain, my head spinning which made my body feel like it was swaying. The ground dipped beneath me as I lay there. I coughed and felt the bubble at my mouth. Lifting my hand, I wiped my mouth and looked at the bright red blood smeared there. I closed my eyes, feeling the panic rise in my chest. The world became silent as blackness washed over me.

*

"How long has he been like this?"

I could hear Lester's question, but I couldn't open my eyes. Every part of my body felt immense pressure. I tried to move but gritted my teeth as unimaginable pain surged through my body.

"I don't know. He's been drifting in and out for a while. I thought he looked too pale earlier, but he was talking so I thought he was okay."

Talking? When had I been talking?

"Then when he fell asleep, I just thought he was tired. He's not well, is he?" Phillip's concern voice filtered through the thick cloud of pain.

I felt the last of my energy desert me. I hadn't shown the others my injury for fear of making them panic. Well, now they were going to panic. My body shook uncontrollably as it tried to ward off an intense heat, the infection that seemed to burn my skin. My sigh was silent when I felt Lester's cool hands upon my fevered flesh.

"He's sick, very sick, he could..." Lester's voice faltered.

I couldn't hear anything other than the fire pop and cackle. I was going to die, and I couldn't open my eyes to see my friends for the last time. I couldn't find the right words to say goodbye.

"I can help him, but he's too weak to help me when my energy becomes drained and my light vanishes."

"I will do it." Phillip offered without hesitation. "But I thought only Stephen could help you?"

"He will just have to come and stop me," Lester snapped.

I slipped into a deep sleep feeling the cool hands of Lester's on my skin.

*

"Stephen, you need to drink."

The icy water caresses my lips. Opening my mouth, I gulped like I hadn't had a drink for a year. Squinting as the light from the fire hit my eyes, I found my view was crowded with Deyna's concerned face.