𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

ILYANA OBSERVED as her brothers followed their father closely behind and cleaned the sand from their body.

"What was the one thing I asked? The one thing?" Jake interrogates his sons.

They chant, "Stay out of trouble."

"Right."

"It was my fault." Ilyana gives him a deadly gaze as Neteyam admits his mistake. Everyone was aware it wasn't the case; he did it to divert attention from Lo'ak.

"I don't think so. You gotta stop takin' the heat for this knucklehead."

"Look, Dad. Aonung was picking on Kiri. He called her a freak." Lo'ak spoke up

"He what!?" Ilyana raised her voice as her tail moved in annoyance. Jake sighs before looking back at his youngest son.

"Go apologise to Aonung."

"What?" Lo'ak tries to negotiate

"He's the chief's son. Do you understand? I don't care how you do it. Just go and make peace." Jake watches as Lo'ak leaves the marui and Neteyam starts to follow until Jake calls for his attention.

"Hey." The boy turns around.

"So what's the other guys look like?"

"Worse." Neteyam states

"That's good."

"A lot worse." Neteyam confirms causing Ilyana to snicker from across the room.

"Get outta here."

Not long after the boys left, Ilyana had sat outside the marui, sharpening her knife. Jake had soon joined her sitting opposite her watching how she was sharpening it.

"Yana, you need to sharpen it inwards not outwards." He corrects her followed by a laugh of realisation.

"I'm sorry. Haven't done this in a while." She excused herself.

"You know, I was the same." Jake admits causing her to snort.

"Why am I not surprised." She jokes caused her father to ruffle her braids.

Neytiri and Kiri remained in the mauri wrapping up dinner. Kiri's face remained plain and Neytiri began to notice it.

"What is wrong?" Neytiri asks her. Jake and Ilyana raise their heads up at this.

"Nothing. I'm fine. Why should I not be fine."

The father-daughter duo hear something slam onto the floor; it was the food Kiri was wrapping up.
"Why can't I just be like everyone else?" Kiri asks her mother.

"Oh, Kiri." Neytiri coos. Ilyana watches from after recalling when she asked the girl a similar question when they first arrived.

"She's been off since we arrived." Ilyana speaks up.

"I noticed." Jake replies.