prologue

FALL, 2000

"you used to be a little kid with glasses in a twin-sized bed"

🕷

IT WAS DARK out, but four-year-old Josephine Evans was still awake. Just a few minutes ago, she had been flipping through a book with pages covered in colorful images. Now, she was turned around backward on the couch, staring into the storm outside.  Her fingers traced the water droplets as they cascaded down the glass pane. A large roll of thunder erupted from above, causing the girl to jump slightly in her seat. She almost fell off the couch.

Once she calmed her breathing and regained focus on the rain, she noticed something that wasn't there before. A van was parked directly across the street from their house. It was very uncommon for their neighbors to receive visitors and even more so for anybody to receive a visitor past five p.m.

Josephine hummed to herself, eyebrows furrowing as she did.

"Josie, sweetheart, it's late. You should go upstairs and put your pajamas on," Christine called from the kitchen where she was washing dishes.

"But- Mommy, look!" the young girl shouted in response. She turned around waiting for her mother to enter the living room.

Christine carefully placed a dish back in the soapy water and walked through the house to where Josie was. Her daughter turned back to the window and pointed at the car across the street. By now, three people had gotten out of it. There was a man, a woman, and a boy who she presumed to be their son.

"Josie, it's better for you to not put your nose in other people's business. Come on, let's go upstairs and get you put to bed," she shook her head, allowing a small laugh to fall from her lips.

The man picked up his son quickly and looked both ways in terror before walking up the steps to the house. It was May and Ben's house; they were family friends. Although Christine had advised her daughter to mind her own business, she couldn't help but also pay attention to the scene. She stared a moment before a gasp escaped her throat. The three were most likely Ben's brother, his wife, and their son, Peter. Christine had met them a few years ago when they came to visit Ben and May, but she had no idea why they would be visiting in the middle of the night.

She stared through the window as she said, "Come on, I'll help you get your pajamas on." She couldn't stop watching the three. 

"Just a little longer? Please?" Josephine asked, turning back around to face her mother.

Christine hummed, "Just five minutes," she nodded, knowing that there were only a few dirty dishes left in the sink. She left the living room.

Josephine turned around to see that the family was now inside the house across the street. She stood up, careful not to fall, and tried to peer inside the windows of Ben and May's home. Unluckily for her, though, a man with graying hair made short eye contact with the girl before drawing the curtains closed in a rush. He then did so for any other windows that were on the house.