one

I. SWEET DISPOSITION

 SWEET DISPOSITION

🕷

JO EVANS HAD absolutely no time management skills whatsoever; this meant she was almost never on time. There had been very few occasions she had arrived at school before the final bell. A great example of this was her currently rushing downstairs with damp hair, shoelaces untied, and her maroon backpack halfway unzipped.

"Shit, shit, shit!" she exclaimed, trying to zip the bag closed.

"Language!" Christine shouted back at her.

"Sorry, Mom." Jo quickly dropped her bag on the couch and pulled the zipper across it, sealing it shut. "Thank god," she sighed.

"Jo, your father got in the car a few minutes ago. Please hurry so neither of you are late again," Christine sighed, arms folded across her chest.

"Yeah. Sorry," the brunette muttered, tossing her bag onto a shoulder. "See you later, Mom." She briefly hugged her mother before speed-walking to the car, almost forgetting to close the front door as she left.

"Morning, Jo," David smiled tiredly.

"Morning, Dad," she mumbled, yawning. She snapped a seatbelt across her torso before propping up a foot on the seat to tie its laces before moving on to the next.

Before Jo had said anything, David thought about starting a conversation while he drove her to school. But, as soon as the words left her mouth, he understood today had started rough (per usual). So, he didn't, and he allowed her to peacefully listen to music through her earbuds on the short ride to school.

Once pulling through the drop-off, Jo was unbuckled and out of the car before David could say goodbye. Her rush this morning was surprising, and she actually ended up with a few minutes to spare before the warning bell was to ring.

She pushed through the teens crowding the hallways, finding her way to the display case where Peter was pinning up a picture of the debate club. Since seventh grade, her goal had been to scare Peter, and not once had she succeeded. Every day was a new opportunity. But, it was like the boy literally had eyes in the back of his head.

Right before she could grip his shoulders and shake them violently, he said, "Good morning, Jo." Then a basketball bounced by Flash  Thompson hit the side of his face.

"Sorry," the blonde boy said, insincerely as he and his friends laughed from a few feet down the hall.

"Morning, Flash," Peter nodded as he finished pressing down the picture onto the blue background.