three

III. I BLEW THINGS OUT OF PROPORTION

 I BLEW THINGS OUT OF PROPORTION

🕷

JO'S SLEEP WAS restless. She tossed and turned, but was unable to get much sleep. After yelling at Peter, not thinking before she spoke, she couldn't unfocus her mind on how she had said "goodbye" so coldly to him. It was over such a small, insignificant thing. Jo was often a very cocky, self-confident teenager, but in that moment, she truly believed she hated herself.

She woke up with a leg hanging off of her bed and her pillows on the floor. She sat up and looked to the side at her alarm clock which read 3:37. She groaned, trying to force herself back to sleep, but failed. Her eyes were closed, but her mind was awake again. As she had after school, she thought of Peter, but this time her thoughts brought sadness.

She reminisced over what had happened earlier.

"Peter. Goodbye." Those two words rang through her head repetitively, causing it to ache.

Every time she closed her eyes, the scene played through her mind. Every time, she saw that awfully sad look on his face; one of betrayal. She had memorized the way his face fell into a frown, the way his eyes had watered when she told him goodbye. She couldn't erase it from her memory no matter how hard she tried to force it away. She wished the way she hurt him was just her imagination, but the pain she felt was proof it wasn't.

Once Jo had woken up, it was difficult to fall back asleep, but she made do. She suffered the weight of closing her eyes and reliving that moment just to ensure that she wouldn't pass out in class the next day. 

🕷

SHE WOKE TO the god-awful sound of her alarm. She didn't know when she actually fell asleep, but thankfully she did. She pushed the off button quickly, to eliminate any possibility of a headache.

She opened her eyes uncomfortably, with little motivation to do anything. She shifted and it was then that she realized her lack of mental presence the night before caused her to forget about changing into pajamas; she realized she fell asleep in the same clothes she went to school in.

Jo sat up with a heavy sigh and slung her legs over the side of her bed for a minute. She didn't want to go to school at all that day. The urge to stay home was even more prominent than ever before. She already knew that day wasn't going to go well. Nonetheless, she stood up.

She thought about skipping a shower that morning but knew she would regret it if she did. She frowned, gathering her clothes, and pushing the door to her bathroom open.

She left her clothes on the counter and turned towards the shower, twisting the knob so warm water would be ready shortly. Jo looked at the ground as she undressed and tossed her clothes into a hamper by the door. She stepped into the running water, only taking a few minutes to adjust to its heat. She tilted her head back and ran her fingers through the knots in her hair.