four

IV. I SHOULD'VE ASKED YOU HOW TO BE

warning: violence, gore, and character death

🕷

ACROSS THE STREET the door to the Parker residence was slammed loudly. Upon coming into contact with the frame, the front door's glass shattered, not unlike the backboard earlier in the gym that day. Peter had gotten in an argument with Ben, lost his temper, and stormed out of the house in a rush. This time, though, Jo was utterly unaware of what was happening.

She was sitting at her desk, trying to form the opening paragraph for an essay that was due the following Wednesday. She hummed quietly as the pencil glided across notebook paper. Every time, the first sentence would disappoint her, and she would end up erasing through the paper and tossing it into her bin with a huff of frustration.

She sat cross-legged in the wheeled chair and pushed herself backward from the small wooden desk that sat just right of the window. Her curtains were wide open, letting in the faintest bit of moonlight. Her expression was calm as she stared through the slightly fogged-up glass from the moisture outside. The peace was short-lived, as her distraction had been ended, leaving her to think about one thing; she had feelings for Peter Parker. Not just regular "he's my best friend" feelings; feelings that if she allowed them into her life, everything would end badly.

"Shit! Fuck!" she cursed under her breath, staring up at her ceiling. "Dammit!" Se exclaimed the final word, groaning in frustration.

Christine heard Jo from down the hallway. "Language!" she shouted. Jo bit her lip, embarrassed. "Your father and I are trying to sleep. He has to get up early, and so do you, for that matter."

She couldn't sleep, though. Not with all the thoughts coursing through her head. The memories from seventh grade when she had originally realized her crush on Peter and then tried to bury the thoughts. She was under the impression she had succeeded in eliminating all romantic feelings for him until around two p.m. that day.

"Wonderful. This is just thrilling! I'm fucking ecstatic!" Her tongue was coated with a thick layer of sarcasm.

She whined, kicking her legs out dramatically, and sliding to the floor in a heap. She lay there for a few minutes, still staring at the glow-in-the-dark stars on her ceiling, also from around the time she realized she had a crush on Peter. He had helped her stick them to her ceiling, and nearly fell off a step-ladder and busted his head while doing so. That was when she had an ongoing obsession with the solar system. She sighed, laughing on the ground before the soft noise turned into a full cackle and she was rolling on the floor, struggling to breathe as she reminisced.