Nainowale Ne (1)

An Abhimanyu and Original Character Dastaan :)

At 12 and 10, their lives changed forever.

12-year-old Abhimanyu sat in the audience with Neil and his Maa, Manjari, enamoured by her stage presence. At ten years old, she had all the hallmarks of a world-class Kathak dancer. The music matched her ghungroo's rhythm, not vice versa, and her expressions gave the lyrics true power. He couldn't imagine a playback singer behind the tune. Others were on stage, a class of 28 young Kathak trainees, but she led the group. Her swift hair flowed with each chakkar, and she did many throughout the performance.

Applause rang through the stadium, and the girls bowed into a pranam.

"Chalo bacho," Manjari said, heading backstage to meet the program organizers and her obedient sons quietly followed. Neil clung to Manjari's pallu, giving it mischievous tugs for attention as Manjari conversed with Deepti, the Kathak Guru and her dear friend from childhood. As always, Abhi stood at her side with the posture of a general, always ready to protect.

Manjari looked at her eldest son and gasped. Her Abhi was smiling. Abhi, whose wrists grew stiff, clenching all day in anger, was smiling. She followed his gaze to a young girl in the back, packing her things. Manjari recognized her from the performance. Manjari giggled in that gentle way of hers; her chest moved forward as the ripples of laughter moved through her, and she quickly tried to cover her expression with her palm.

"Deepti, woh kaun hai?" Manjari asked, gesturing.

"Mayuri, my best student," Deepti replied woefully. They watched as the other girls hugged Mayuri and teared up.

"Sab itne udaas kyun hai?" Manjari asked. They watched as the other girls hugged Mayuri and teared up.

"Aaj Mayuri ka aakhri din hai humare saath. Uske parents humare classes afford nahi kar sakte."

"Maa," Abhi whispered, his let out a small whimper, only audible to her. Neil, too, stopped pulling at her pallu.

"Main uski fees pay kar lungi," Manjari offered after a moment of hesitation. She wasn't accustomed to spending money without her husband's guidance. It sent shivers up her spine to make a decision not related to their home or a pooja, but she was an artist at her core.

"Maine to khud yehi offer kiya tha par uske parents bade khudaar hai, nahi maane."

"Toh inhe kehna ki scholarship di gayi hai."

"Par jhoot bolna"

"Jhoot nahi hoga," Manjari interjected. "Birla's Art Foundations ke through agar kiya toh."

She thought her association with Mayuri would purely be as a patron of her talent, for she thought Abhi's crush was a momentary infatuation. Kuch ladko ko Sonali Bendre se hoti hai, aur mere Abhi ko Mayuri se, she rationalized.

But she didn't see the way he glanced at her. Or how he practiced Kathak in his room, imitating her naman and utpatti to impress her at Neil's suggestion. He muttered prayers to Shivji, the Nataraja, when he succumbed to dizziness after trying the chakkars to keep his secret. With Shivji's blessings, Manjari was called to the kitchen before she could inquire about his actions, and Abhimanyu didn't have to muster poorly constructed excuses.

Abhimanyu called out to Shivji again while waiting for Mayuri's rehearsals to complete. Neil patted his brother on the back to foster courage and support. Mayuri came out with her class, and Abhimanyu froze like a deer in headlights.

"Bhaiya bhole," Neil ushered before the girls could walk away.

"Mayuri, mujhe tumhe kuch dikhana hai," Abhimanyu croaked out. By then, he was 14, and she was 12. They knew each other as he tailed behind his mother to each of their shows. Neil played with the girls backstage, bringing card games as they prepped and waited for their rides while Manjari and Deepti conversed. Neil first earned Mayuri's trust and then introduced the two. Sometimes, Abhimanyu would carry her bags for her.

"Okay," Mayuri said.

"Mujhe bhi dekhna hai," another girl chirped, and Abhi's audience grew tri-folds. He didn't know it then, but the girls teased Mayuri with his name.

"Abhi," Mayuri sensed his hesitation. But he proceeded with his prepared moves and Neil's portable music player. He looked like a fool in the best way possible. His antics clumsy, his steps off the beats. Her friends erupted into a laughing spree, and Neil joined in. "Dhokebaaz," Abhi hissed under his breath when his brother joined in. Abhi's cheeks flushed with embarrassment when he fell, but the soft caress of Mayuri's hands made all the difference. She rushed to his side and helped him up.

"Tum theek ho?" she asked.

"Hmm," he nodded.

"Ek baar bhi kar ke dekhaogi?" she asked.

"Huh?" He was gobsmacked when she hugged him tight.

"Bahot acha tha," she said whispered.

"Sach?"

She fervently nodded when they pulled apart.

"Shivji ki kasam kao?"

"Uh-" her voice crackled under his gaze, and he laughed at her antics, now knowing the adoration his mom felt when he shied away with excuses. She giggled too. She was the only one in that crowd who laughed with him, not at him.

When Abhimanyu carried her bags and walked her to her parent's car, she asked him if he'd tutor her in biology. Her seventh class boards were coming up, and she was scared. Her parents warned her that her grades must improve or she'd have to cut down on her rehaas (rehearsal).

Essi hi chote chote mauke doonte rehti ek durse se milne ke. Yahan Abhi uske rehearsal ke baad uska wait karta tha aur woh uske liya letters likti thi, Maine Pyaar Kiya ki Suman jaisi jo woh har study session ke duaran uske bag mein chupa deti thi.

Please do comment and share your opinion!