Darkhaast

Akshara burst through the obstetrician wing, desperately looking for Dr. Kapoor, the Birla Hospital's most respected obstetrician. "I want an abortion," Akshara proclaimed.

"Ma'am, Ma'am, please relax." Her nurses tried to placate Akshara. When they failed, they reached out to page Dr. Abhimanyu. Akshara snatched the nurses' pager: "Abhimanyu ko bulane ki koyi zaroorat nahi hai. Ye mera faisla hai, uska nahi."

"But, ma'am," Dr. Basu raised a hand to silence the nurse. I'll handle it, her eyes said as she handed her patients over to her interns.

"Consent papers mere office mein hai. Aap mujhe follow kar sakti ho," Dr. Basu led Akshara away.

Dr. Basu walked Akshara through the procedure and consent forms. "It is a safe and routine procedure, I assure you. After you sign the papers, I can schedule you for 5:30 pm later today."

Akshara could see Dr. Basu's lips moving, but her words were inaudible. Akshara was consumed by the sight of Abhir lying on the hospital bed, unconscious and defeated. Mera betu, Akshara's heart cried.

"Mrs. Sharma, are you sure you'd like to terminate your pregnancy? Your pregnancy is high-risk, but Abhir proves you could successfully carry this child to term." Hearing Abhir's name broke her trance.

"As a doctor, is it your place to impose your pro-life beliefs on me?" Akshara's grating voice stung Dr. Basu's heart.

"The question had to be asked considering your plight." The pen looked heavier than a hammer in Akshara's lifeless hands, and this decision's significance echoed throughout the room. "Dr. Kapoor's on sick leave, and she's left me her caseload. Uska matlab aap meri zimedaari hai aur main aapko koi bhi uninformed faisla nahi lene de sakti"

"Dr. Basu, I appreciate your concern, but you know nothing about my situation."

"You're right, Akshara. I don't know you or your situation." Dr. Basu moved to the seat next to Akshara, hoping to reduce their emotional distance. "But I've seen enough women sign this procedure to recognize those tormented and those broken. I know Abhir is a patient in the cardiac wing, and that can overwhelm any parent." Dr. Basu gently held Akshara's hand. "My job is to support whatever decision you make, but I want it to be a decision you've made consciously, with all your sensibilities." 

Akshara's sorrow was deeper than the largest sea. Her tears gushed down her face like an angry waterfall: passionate, heavy, and turbulent. "Abhir, Manjari Maa, Abhimanyu, Badi Mama." Their words haunted her, and she held onto her belly like a lifejacket.

"Akshara!" Akshara's heartbeat quickened when she heard Abhimanyu's bellowing voice approach the room. "It's okay, I'll handle it," Dr. Basu assured. "Just call me on this number when you're ready to talk to him, okay?" she handed Akshara her card.

"Akshara," Dr. Basu blocked Abhimanyu from the office. Her small frame was no match for his sturdy build. But her gaze was just as determined.

"Mujhe Akshara se baat karni hai, please hato."

"Are you her husband?" She asked.

"Nahin par-"

"Are you the father of her child?"

"No, but-"

"Then give her space, Dr. Abhimanyu. She's heard everyone's opinion so much that she doesn't know what her heart says. At least give her the dignity to think for herself and figure out what she wants." He relented. Dr. Basu settled against the wall beside him. Their wait was painful; every second felt like a year.

Abhimanyu stiffened, hearing the hospital staff gossiping from the other corridor. "Dr. Abhimanyu koi daycare centre hai kya jo Abhinav Sharma ka bacha wo palen?" The receptionist muttered.

"He loves every part of her, including her child." A nurse came to his defence.

"Don't listen to them," Dr. Basu said. "Maine suna hai Sheetal apne ghar pe ek Halloween party plan kar rahi hai. Kuch paalon mein ye sab apne costumes pick karne mein busy honge."

Abhimanyu cleared his throat. His eyes were red and weary, his soul as torn as Akshara's. "Mahadev," Abhimanyu's grip tightened on his amulet.

Dr. Basu's office door opened, and Akshara walked out in a daze.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't do it," Akshara cried. Who was the apology for? Everyone, Akshara supposed. It was for Abhir for not marrying Abhimanyu sooner. For Maa, because she couldn't abort the baby. For Abhinav, for considering terminating their child. For Abhimanyu because, she couldn't promise her heart to him but was willing to let him take on a lifetime of responsibilities.

She clung to him, wrapping her arms around his waist. "You shouldn't have lied to me," he consoled her.

Dr. Basu's eyes caught Abhimanyu's gaze, and he slowly blinked a thank you. She returned a soft smile and gave them privacy.

"Maa Durga, inka khyaal rakhna," Dr. Basu prayed to the statue on her desk. "Inka rishta kya kehlata hai, koi nahi janta. Shayad iss rishta ka koi naam hi nahi. Par jo bhi ho, inka apne anchal main rakha."

I didn't know what I was writing. I woke up wanting to read an Abhimanyu x original female character story and/or an Abhimanyu single parenting story, but my fingers typed this. I think I could still shape it into one of those; it depends on my mood. For now, consider it a take on the current track.
Please comment your thoughts and feedback! It motivates me to make my drafts public lol