3: mission success... right?

Yeji wasn't sure what having fun meant at the time until Ryujin refused to leave the kitchen. She insisted Yeji put together her favorite drink. Less of a request, more of a demand. Throughout her quick thinking, Ryujin imagined the girl would have to use her brain to find what she needed among their options, in turn distracting her for a few minutes. It worked if the disappearance of that watery shine posed any indication.

Yeji struggled. Her emotions nearly won but, eventually, she managed. She even asked Ryujin to make her own favorite. By trading tastes, she could see what the girl was into. Her thoughts are a bit scrambled, but Ryujin never fully included herself in the parties their friends would throw back then.

Yeji has no idea what Ryujin is like in this type of scene. Wild and loud? Calm and collected? Protective or instigative? She has to know. The possibilities flood her brain and she chooses to focus on this instead. Ryujin wouldn't answer, either. Yeji genuinely questioned if she was a lightweight, much to the Shin's annoyance.

Whatever the case, she sure got the answer almost thirty minutes later. Yeji is currently so caught up in witnessing this version of Ryujin that her ex's presence at this party is tucked in the back of her mind. A thought for a different time. Because how did one drink lead to Ryujin competing against a stranger in beer pong?

Ryujin's eyes stare. It's intense. Unwavering. She's prepared to win.

A guy is standing on the opposite side of the table. His name? They don't know. When Ryujin willingly enters a game of beer pong, Yeji isn't sure. But Ryujin was challenged by a man claiming to be undefeated, and Yeji muttered something about her being a lightweight again. Her pride was on the line, dammit, and she's determined to prove them wrong.

Each with one cup left, the handful of people watching start to cheer her on. As the underdog, her support outgrows his. The scowl on his face implies his hatred toward that.

Ryujin slides her hair back behind her ears, her cheeks red, and a few beads of sweat on her forehead. She squeezes the ball in her hand and points at Yeji. "If I make this, you still owe me ten bucks."

"Honestly, you got further than I thought you would." Yeji's convinced she hasn't even blinked, too invested. Strands of hair sticking out noticeably in the limelight, instinct tells her to do the contestant a favor. Yeji slips the hair tie off her wrist and ties Ryujin's hair into a low ponytail. It's short, so the ends sprout out adorably. A part of her thinks it's cute. "Win and I'll give you twenty."

"Win and I owe you a drink, love~ " Some girl says with a wink, standing a few feet away in the circle crowding their game. Ryujin's face darkens a few shades. The girl isn't that random to her.

After her opponent misses, she rolls up her sleeve and winds her arm. With squinted eyes, Ryujin throws the ball, but it misses too. While both contestants feel down on their luck, Yeji snickers on the sidelines when the man frustratingly slaps his cup and forfeits the game.

Needless to say, the so-called winner isn't satisfied.

"Feeling victorious?"

"More like cheated. He's got anger issues."

"Probably because no one's come close to beating him yet. At least, so says your girlfriend." Yeji points toward the girl from earlier. Mentioned girl flirtatiously waves back, and Ryujin's palms smack right into her face. She was too focused on the game to notice the two talking behind her.

Luckily, Yeji doesn't persist. The first step to making a friend: don't allow curiosity to push when the other appears uncomfortable. Boundaries exist.

"Don't worry. It's not my business. I won't ask."

Success rests in Ryujin's sigh of relief. "It's embarrassing, so thanks."