Chapter 2

Free-Bird yawned as she sat down next to Rooster. He was in the seat closest to the center aisle of the classroom, leaving her on the outside.

"Morning, sunshine," He said. Anne groaned in response as she sunk into her seat. She watched as the rest of her peers trickled into the room, studying each of them.

"Attention on deck!" A woman yelled, once everyone had entered the room and found their seats. Everyone stood up quickly as an older man with white hair and dark skin took the podium.

"Morning." The man started. "Welcome to your special training detachment. Be seated." Everyone sat down as the man continued his speech. "I'm Admiral Bates, NAWDC commander. You're all Top Gun graduates. The elite. The best of the best." Everyone smiled to themselves at the praise. But it was short-lived as Bates continued, "That was yesterday. The enemy's new fifth-generation fighter has leveled the playing field. Details are few, but you can be sure we no longer possess the technological advantage. Success, now more than ever, comes down to the man or woman in the box." Hangman shot a look at Phoenix, which she returned by flipping him off. "Half of you will make the cut. One of you will be named mission leader." Anne straightened in her seat. That was going to be her title. "The other half will remain in reserve." Hangman looked back at Rooster and they had a silent argument. Then Hangman looked at Free-Bird and winked. Free-Bird's jaw dropped and she looked at Rooster who looked like he had murder on his mind.

"Your instructor is a Top Gun graduate with real-world experience in every mission aspect you will be expected to master. His exploits are legendary and he's considered to be one of the finest pilots this program has ever produced." Free-Bird was going to wait until her instructor got to the podium to see who it was, but when Hangman's smile dropped as he turned around, Free-bird turned to look herself.

Walking down the aisle, was none other than Pete "Maverick" Mitchell. Her god damn father. She tuned out the rest of Bates's speech as she turned back around in her chair and stared at her feet.

She didn't know what she was feeling. Sadness? Anger? Maybe even a little bit of happiness? She could feel Bradley looking at her but she ignored his concerned stare. As much as he hated Maverick himself, he knew Anne hated him 10x more.

Anne clenched and unclenched her fists as the man passed her. She felt Bradley put his hand on her forearm. A simple gesture to let her know he was there. Anne closed her eyes, took a deep breath and looked up at the podium to where her father stood.

"Good morning!" he started. Anne kept a scowl on her face as Maverick scanned the room. His eyes landed on her and Bradley and his small smile faded from his face. He looked down at the podium as he started his speech.

"The F-18 NATOPS. It contains everything they want you to know about your aircraft. I'm assuming you know the book inside and out." A few shouts came from the small crowd, affirming his statement. Everyone watched in shock (and a little bit of horror) as Maverick threw the book in the garbage can.

"So does your enemy." Rooster and Free-Bird exchanged a look. "But what the enemy doesn't know is your limits. I intend to find them, test them, push beyond." Free-bird rolled her eyes and sat back in her seat. He was always so damn dramatic. "Today we'll start with what you only think you know. You show me what you're made of." Maverick scanned the room once more, making eye contact with his daughter.

The bored, almost angry, look hurt him slightly. He knew it was what he deserved but the way her eyes showed nothing but disgust and hatred... he would be lying if he said it didn't hurt.

He briefed the group on their exercise- dogfighting- then dismissed the class and ordered them to gear up. Free-Bird quickly gathered her things and left the room. As she was walking back to the barracks she heard her name called from behind her. Free-Bird knew it was her father trying to get her attention so she kept walking. It wasn't until he desperately said, "Lieutenant Mitchell," that she turned around.

"If I didn't know better I would have thought you were talking to yourself, but you finally got promoted, Capitan," Free-Bird responded as her father approached her. He closed his eyes and took a breath.

"It's nice to see you," he started. "I can't believe how far you've come. I'm proud," he said. Anne couldn't look him in the eyes.

"Yea, those words would have been nice about 15 years ago. Thanks though," she said bitterly. She started to walk away but Pete called after her. She stopped and slowly turned around.

"I... I'm sorry," he said, choking on his words. "Please work with me though. Our relationship won't get in the way of any decisions I make."

"Well I hope not. That would make you a bad father and a bad Capitan," Pain flashed across Pete's face for a split second. Anne almost felt bad, almost. "Am I free to go, Capitan Mitchell?"

"Yes... yes go get ready for todays exercise." He said. She nodded then turned around. It wasn't until Anne rounded the corner that her eyes welled with frustrated tears. Of course Maverick was her instructor, just when the original wound that he slashed into her heart had fully healed, it was ripped open again by him trying to apologise.

She threw the door to the barracks open, somewhat aggressively, causing some heads to turn in her direction. She stormed over to her bed, keeping her head down.

Phoenix noticed her off-mood and asked, "Hey Free-bird are you-" She stopped talking when she saw Anne's teary eyes.

Anne took a deep breath before standing up and saying, "I'm fine. Just not used to the humidity yet."

Bradley had taken notice to her sour mood and walked over, immediately taking notice to her red eyes. His brows furrowed in concern and he walked to stand by her side.

"Did he say something to you?" Bradley asked, placing a hand on her shoulder to turn her towards him. There was a beat of silence.

"I didn't think I would ever see him again. And if I did, I didn't expect it to be this hard." Anne said quietly, looking anywhere but his face. Bradley waited for her to finish. She met his eyes. "Tell me I can do this."

"You can. You're the strongest person I know." Anne closed her eyes and took another breath.

"I got this." Anne said to herself. A smirk grew on Bradley's face. "I got this." Anne said again with a shrug. Bradley chucked.

"It's dogfighting. Your good at that!"

"I'm good at that!"

"Come on Free-bird," Bradley said as he laughed, wrapping an arm around her shoulder as they turned to face their friends. The barrack was empty. The two looked at each other with wide eyes.

"Shit." They raced to get their gear on then ran out to the landing strip for their first exercise.

~

AN: Second chapter doooooone :D. I hope y'all enjoyed this bit on angst and I can't wait to share the rest of the story with you guys! Also Braldey gives golden retriver boyfriend vibes to me. Am I the only one?