Chapter 10

"Capitan Mitchell is no longer your instructor, and as of today there are new mission parameters," Cyclone said from the podium. Free-bird's head snapped to look at him and pushed herself up in her seat. She looked at Rooster who actually looked a little concerned. "Time to target is now four minutes. You'll be entering the valley level at a reduced speed not to exceed 420 knots." What the hell? Anne thought to herself. She looked at Rooster again who she could tell was thinking the same thing.

"Sir, won't we be giving their planes time to intercept?" Bob asked.

"Well, Lieutenant, you have a fighting chance against enemy aircraft. What are the odds of surviving a head-on collision with a mountain?" Cyclone responded. Good point. "You'll be attacking the target from a higher altitude, level with the north wall. Gonna be a little harder to keep your lase on target but you will avoid the high-g climb out." Anne thought for a moment before a beeping came from the screen at the front of the room. In the simulation, a plane could be seen approaching the course.

"Who the hell is that?" Cyclone asked.

"Maverick to range control. Entering point alpha. Confirm green range." Mav said through the coms. Anne's jaw dropped slightly and she pushed herself up even higher in her seat.

"Uh, Maverick, range control, uh, green range in confirmed. I don't see an event scheduled for you, sir."

"Well. I'm going anyway."

"That asshole stole a plane," Free-Bird mumbled.

"Setting time to target: two minutes, fifteen seconds," Maverick said.

"2:15? That's impossible." Payback said.

"Final attack point. Mavericks inbound." His plane launched forward and entered the course, starting the countdown. Everyone watched on the edge of their seat as Mavericks plane navigated the canyon. Nothing could be heard except Mavericks grunting through the coms. He successfully made it through the canyon and approached the mountain. Everyone had their eyes locked on the screen, not looking away for a moment.

"Popping in three, two, one." Maverick's plane started the climb on the first mountain. He inverted and safely made it over, making his way to the dropping point. "Bombs away!" he yelled. Then, everyone watched as his plane jerked upwards and started it's climb out. Free-bird listened for his bomb hitting the ground, her eyes darting between her dad's plane and the falling bomb.

10, 9, 8, 7.

Free-bird and a few others in the room stood up. She watched with her jaw slack as Maverick approached the end of the mountain.

3, 2, 1.

Maverick's bombs hit the target as he crossed the end of the course. He ended with 0.16 seconds left, nevertheless making it in two minutes and fifteen seconds.

"Bullseye holy shit!" Free-bird said as she cheered with some others. She smiled and covered her mouth the looked down at Rooster who still had his eyes locked on the screen. His expression was unreadable.

"Damn," Hangman said. Free-bird smiled, knowing that even Hangman was shocked was a huge accomplishment. She felt... proud. Cyclone was still staring at the board, now with his arms crossed.

"Hondo, take them to run Maverick's course." Cyclone said as he walked out of the room.

"Uh, yes sir," Hondo responded. He looked at the group of aviators and dismissed them to go  get ready.

Nothing special happened during training. People were finally starting to make the course in time and hitting the target consistently. After Maverick's success and the overall success of the group, spirits were high. They only had three more days until the mission but the group still decided it was a night for celebration.

Always Interrupted | Bradley BradshawOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara