Chapter 7

When Anne woke up Bradley and Reuben weren't in their beds and everyone else was still asleep. She quickly got dressed, grabbed her keys then headed out to the parking lot. Once she was out side, she spotted her dad leaning against his motorcycle.

"Morning," he said.

"Good morning," Anne nodded in response.

"Wanna ride with me?"

"Oh, no thank you. Motorcycles aren't really my thing," Pete nodded then swung his leg over the seat. "See you there then." Anne jogged over to her car, got in, and made her way to the Admiral's house. As the two pulled up the driveway, Anne saw the Admiral's grandchildren playing in the front yard, many of whom she used to babysit. Anne had spent so much time at the Kazansky house growing up she often called Iceman "Uncle Tom" and his wife "Aunt Sara".  She had missed the big front yard and cozy interior, it was nice to be back.

They made their way to the front door but were stopped by a bombardment of hugs. Eventually, the kids let go and Pete and Anne made it to the front door where they greeted Sara, who swallowed them in a hug too.

Anne walked to a table filled with picture frames, her dad not far behind, and scanned the house. Not a lot had changed since the last time she was here which was probably close to 20 years now. Sara studied Anne and Pete, a sad look in her eye.

"Free-bird... Maverick," there was a moment of silence.

"It's come back?" Pete asked as Anne hung her head.

"No one knows. There's nothing else they can do. Even speaking is painful now." Anne swallowed the lump in her throat.

"Sara, I'm so sorry." Pete stepped forward and gave Sara a hug as Anne's vision blurred with tears. When they pulled back from the hug, Sara spotted Anne's frown and immediately stepped forward to hug her too.

"It will be okay honey. Don't you worry." Sara said as they pulled back. They shared a sad smile before Anne offered to go talk to him first.

She slowly pushed the door open, seeing Tom turn in his seat.

"Uncle Tom!" Anne said as Iceman stood up to give her a hug. "How are you feeling?" Iceman sat at his desk as Anne took the chair next to him.

He turned to type on his computer: I've been better.

"Well you look good." He tossed his hand forward and smiled.

How's the mission?

"It's going. There has been some drama but we're getting though!"

How was seeing your dad again?

"It went as expected. We talked things though and we're good now. You have my mom to thank for that."

How's Bradley doing?

"Do you mean with my Dad or on the mission?"

Both.

"Well, he looks at Mav like he hates him and when I told him that Maverick had apologized to me he wasn't too happy. I think they are growing to like each other... slowly. As for the mission, you know how he is. He's pushing himself so hard it's painful sometimes and the drama of it all isn't helping. He's performing really well though."

Well, I'm glad everything is going well.

"Me too!"

It was so nice seeing your face again. Tom stood up and embraced Anne once more.

"You too Uncle Tom. I'll send in my dad!"

"Tell your mom... I said hello," he said hoarsely.

"Will do." Anne was holding herself together with thread now. It was so hard to see him like that. Anne told her dad that Iceman was ready to see him now then sat down on the couch. She spent the rest of her time catching up with Sara and even though the conversation was lively, there was a sad sense about the whole situation.