Chapter 3

The pair quickly ran out to their planes, shouting their good luck's. Free-Bird walked around her plane, making sure it was flight ready before Hondo told her to go wait in the break room, as she wouldn't be flying first. Rooster, Payback, and Fanboy would be up against Maverick for the first round.

"Good morning aviators," her dad spoke through the radio. "this is your captain speaking. Welcome to basic fighter maneuvers. As briefed, today's exercise is dogfighting. Guns only, no missiles. We do not go below the hard deck of 5,000 feet. Work as a team to shoot me down, or else."

"Or else what, sir?" Payback asked through his com.

"Or else I shoot back," Maverick responded. Phoenix and Free-bird shared a look. "If I shoot either of you down, you both lose."

"This guy needs an ego check," Hangman said.

"He's not the only one," Free-bird muttered to Phoenix and Bob.

"What's say we put some skin in the game?" Payback asked.

"What do you have in mind?"

"Whoever gets shot down first has to do 200 push-ups."

"Guys, that's a lot of push-ups,"

"They don't call it an exercise for nothing sir," Fanboy quipped.

"You got yourself a deal, gentlemen. Fight's on. Lets turn and burn!" Free-Bird watched her Mavericks plane accelerate upwards.

"Watch yourself Bradley," she mumbled to herself. She watched the fight with sweaty palms as the men went back and forth.

"How are you feeling?" Phoenix came up behind Free-bird and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Fine. This is something I know I'm good at so... hoping for the best."

"Time to put those three air-to-air kills to good use," Phoenix smiled at her and Free-Bird chuckled. "Hey, seriously if you ever need anything I'm here. And that's coming from your friend, not your team mate."

"Thank you. It means a lot," Anne put her hand on top of Natasha's and smiled. The girls turned their attention back to the fight just in time to see Rooster "shot down" by Maverick. Both women groaned as they heard Rooster curse through the radio. Free-bird watched Rooster's plane land. As he got out of the plane he threw his gear on the ground then walked over to Hondo to do his push-ups.

Free-Bird stood with Phoenix as they watched Rooster.

Fanboy and Payback came up behind them as Fanboy said, "That should be us down there."

"But it's not. And now you know a little something about Rooster." Phoenix said. Free-bird pressed her lips together and walked to a chair, putting her head in her hands.

Free-bird was the third to go, with Phoenix and Bob as her wingmen. The two planes moved to their starting positions as the three mentally locked in.

"You okay, Michell?" Phoenix asked through the com.

"Yea, watch your back. He uses surprise to his advantage. Also keep your eyes on you altitude, if you hit the hard deck he's got you." There was a moment of silence before Free-Bird added, "Do you see him Bob?"

"Uh, no. He's not on the radar but-"

"There, three o'clock!" Free-bird shouted as she moved her plane to attack. Maverick saw her coming though.

"Oh, hello," he exclaimed as he quickly moved to defend her attack and shoot at Phoenix and Bob.

"Watch out! He's coming to you guys." Free-bird shouted as he advanced on her wingmen. She moved to intercept his aiming system, saving her team mates.