Chapter 12

The next morning, the girls were up at sunrise. They were silent as they got ready for the day's mission, running the course and their objectives through their heads over and over.

They both were going through their own internal battles. Free-Bird was riddled with the anxiety of losing her father all over again if something went wrong on this mission as well as the fact that she may lose one or more of her best friends. Phoenix was struggling with the fact that not only did she have to risk her own life if she flew today but also Bob's. If something happened to him on this mission, her fault or someone else's, she would never forgive herself.

"You ready?" Phoenix asked as she stepped out of the bathroom. Free-Bird nodded and stood up from where she was sitting. The girls walked down to the cafeteria to grab something quick to eat before they had to report to Maverick for their assignments. They sat with the rest of their friends as they ate but not much was said, only a short "good morning" from Bob.

Free-Bird looked up at Rooster, who was next to her and was looking at his fork and turning it over in his hand. She reached over and grabbed his free hand. He thread his fingers through hers and squeezed without looking up. She heard him take a deep breath before relaxing.

Once the group finished eating they made their way to a small room on the upper deck. The aviators lined up in the same position that they had sat in for the past three weeks. Maverick stood at the front of the room, scanning the group of his students.

"It has been an honor flying with you," he started. "Each one of you represents the best of the best. This is a very specific mission. My choice is a reflection of that and nothing more." He smiled softly as he scanned the room again.

"Choose your two Foxtrot teams." Cyclone ordered.

"Payback and Fanboy. Phoenix and Bob." Maverick said. Free-Bird glanced over at her friends, but she couldn't see their faces.

"And your wingman." Cyclone ordered again. Free-Bird inhaled sharply and reached out for Roosters hand. They only linked their pinkies, not wanting to risk Cyclone seeing anything he could lecture them for. Maverick paused for what felt like several minutes. Free-Bird closed her eyes and waited for Maverick's decision.

"Rooster."

Free-Bird let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. She opened her eyes and looked at Maverick before turning to Rooster. The men were having a silent conversation, looking at each other with unreadable expressions. Free-Bird didn't know what to think. Equal parts of her were disappointed and relieved that she wouldn't be flying, and part of her was screaming because she was going to have to watch the most important people in her life attempt what some would consider a suicide mission. She couldn't do anything at this point except pray.

Warlock dismissed everyone and the aviators started to flood out of the room. Free-Bird didn't move for a second, still processing the past few minutes. Finally, when she did move, she turned and wrapped her arms around Rooster, burying her head in his neck. He squeezed her back, shutting his eyes tight. Bradley was fully aware that this might be the last time he would ever hold Anne and he never wanted this moment to end.

"Don't do anything stupid okay?" she whispered before pulling back to look him in the eye. "Come home." She smiled softly and he mirrored her expression.

"Do I get a hug too, Free-Bird?" Fanboy teased from behind her. Free-Bird rolled her eyes and turned around, shoving her friends shoulder before congratulating all of them and wishing them luck. Free-Bird was sent to prepare a standby plane while the rest of her friends went to complete their final preparations.

After all planes were checked and all gear was equipped, they gathered on the side of the runway and listened to a final debrief of the mission.

"This is what you've all trained for. Come home safely." Cyclone concluded. Free-Bird turned to Phoenix and Bob.