Chapter 9

Anne's ears rang and her limbs went numb as Maverick told her the bad news. Uncle Tom had passed away. She didn't really know what to do after hearing the news, what could she do? One of her role models, mentors, family members had just died. After saying goodnight to her dad, her body went on autopilot. She walked back to the barracks and walked straight to the bathroom.

Everything seemed confusing, she couldn't comprehend what was going on around her. She didn't feel like crying she felt like... sitting. Sitting and not talking for a while.

Anne took out her bun and changed out of her aviation suit then went and sat on her bed, putting her things away.

"Anne!" Bradley said as he placed a hand on her shoulder. She stood up and turned around to look at him. "Are you okay? I said your name like five times." She looked at him, confused.

"Uncle Tom died." That was all she could say at the moment nothing more.

"Admiral Kazansky?" Bradley asked. Anne nodded her head and sat down on her bed. Bradley sat next to her. "Oh my god. Anne I'm so sorry." Anne leaned her shoulder into Bradley's chest.

"Maverick said we aren't going to have training for the next two days. We have the funeral and we all will be in attendance. It's in Arlington so we all have to fly to D.C. and back. We are all gonna take a plane out of here. He'll send boarding times out tonight."

"Okay," they sat in silence for a moment. Bradley wrapped his arm around Anne and rubbed her arm.

"If I'm not awake in time, can you wake me up two hours before we have to leave to board?"

"Yea, of course." He turned and hugged her. She wrapped her arms around him and buried her head into his shoulder. "You know I'm always here, right?"

"Yeah. Thank you." They stayed like that for a little while longer before pulling back. Anne gave Bradley a sad smile before he walked back over to his bed. Anne couldn't fully process the news that she had just received. I'll sleep on it. Maybe that will make it better. Anne pulled the sheets on her bed back and crawled under them. It didn't take long for her to fall asleep, which she was grateful for. The quicker she could stop thinking the better.

Bradley woke her at 8 the next morning. They were going to start boarding at about 10 and leave at 10:30 for the five and a half hour flight to D.C.. Anne put on a sweatshirt and sweatpants then threw some pajamas, an extra outfit and her toiletries into a travel bag. Her funeral uniform would be waiting for her in D.C..

Natasha and Bob were cleared in time to come back to the barracks and pack. After they were ready to go, the group walked down to the boarding area. There was a heavy silence that hung over them, as Bradley had told them all what was going on.

When they reached the area, Anne was confused to see her mom standing with Pete. Pete was wearing sunglasses for some odd reason.

"Mom?" Anne called. Penny turned her head to look in Anne's direction. When Penny spotted her, her face softened. Anne rushed over.

"What are you doing here? Is everything okay?" Anne turned to her dad mid sentence.

"Everything is fine," Penny stepped forward and rubbed Anne's arms. "I'm coming with your Dad to the funeral." Anne's face went from confusion and concern to a soft smile.

"Oh... hm. Okay." Anne turned to her dad and stepped a bit closer. "Are you okay?"

He took a shaky breath then whispered, "I'm good, honey." She understood why her dad was wearing the sunglasses now. She guessed that under the aviators, his eyes were red and teary, something that he couldn't have his students seeing. She nodded with a small smile then went back to her friends.