Stepstones

113 AC - Red keep, King's landing

Four moons had passed since her mother's death. She continued learning from Lord lyonel and her cousin.
She forgot that one aggravating thing about being the unmarried heir to the throne was the countless lords and knights trying to woo her in hopes being the King consort despite her being bethroed. As much amusing it was to see Daemon and caraxes chasing them away, it was still grating on her nerves.

Another event happened was that daemon teaching her how to fight. When he suggested it to father otto came out of nowhere and as usual denied it.

"It is not appropriate for a princess to participate in unlady like activities."
"Oh what do you expect her to do when a assasin attempts to kill her, give them a lesson in embroidery?"

Daemon looked one moment away from smacking him with dark sister.
Surprisingly her father agreed with daemon which resulted in rhaenyra getting tortured by daemon in the name of training. That man dragged her to train even before the sun rose and only stopped at night. Unless Rhaenys (bless her) dragged Rhaenyra away to deal with lords or for small council meetings.

Currently as she was sitting and listening to the lords drone on about various topics and watching as otto blatantly manipulated her father while Daemon looked bored, the door slammed open to reveal a very angry Corlys Velaryon. Daemon became suddenly interested

"Four ships have now been lost. The last one was flying my banner. The stepstones have now grown into a conflagration yet you sit here and dither about court business. If you have something to discuss I want to know what is to done about my ships and my men."

'Shit I forgot about that' Rhaenyra thought.

"The crown will compensate you for your ships and crew and make an offering to the men's family" otto said.
"I don't want compensation. I want to seize the stepstones by force and burn out this crab feeder"

"I am not ready to start a war with the free cities "

"These pirates are not the free cities."
"Who do you think provides them with ships"

"In all its history the seven kingdoms have never entered open war with the free cities were that to happen the loses would be incalculable." Lord beesbury said.

"What reason does this crab feeder have to fear us. Four ships have been been attacked and yet the crown haven't taken any action."

"I'll caution you now Lord Corlys a seat at the King's table does not make you his equal."

"I have acted Corlys. I've sent ambassadors to pentos and volantis to see if we might find common cause. Ships and men are at the ready the stepstones will be settled in time."

Rhaenyra knew what she had to do.
"You have dragon riders father send us."
All the people in the room except daemon and Lord Corlys looked uncomfortable as if she committed a crime.

"It's not that easy Rhaenyra."
"It would be a show of force."
"At least the princess has a plan."
She was about to speak again when otto cut her off "perhaps there's some better use for the princess's talents."

Before her father even got the chance to contemplate that stupid suggestion Rhaenyra intervened. She didn't want to deal with kingsguard selection today especially she didn't want to see Cristian Cole.

"I am not finished Lord Hand." She said firmly. The members of the council were surprised.

"I understand the reason you all are reluctant to use force in the stepstone issue is because you don't want to start a war when we had peace for this long. But that peace won't last long if we are leaving the triarchy unchecked. As Lord Corlys mentioned before if those shipping lanes fall, it would beggar our ports. I agree with you, my lord. The last thing we need is an economic crisis. The people won't care for peace if they are starving. How long before they start a riot and not to mention the lords."

Daemon was grinning by the time she was finished. Lord Corlys looked impressed.

Her father and others were actually considering her. Otto's face was blank but she could tell he was livid. Because he had father on his side none of the lords barring Daemon and Lord Corlys spoke against him. So this was a new incident.

"The princess is right your grace. It is better if we fight some pirates than fighting our own people." Lord Lyonel said.

"But what about the lords. As you said princess we had a long time of peace many lords would be reluctant to enter a war." Mellos ever the hightower lapdog argued.

"Yes you are right but partially. Only lords who will be reluctant to join will be the sensible ones. And as we know the number of lords in that category is very low which is evident from the problems discussed in the council meetings. Most of the lords and knights are the ones yearning for battle and glory. And besides we have 5 dragons with riders."

"None of our dragons have been to war princess" otto argued.

"No we have caraxes and Vhagar. Those two have more than enough battle experience. And we are not talking about battle commanders we are speaking about dragons. Experience is not what matters. So we can count on Meleys, Sea Smoke and Syrax too.

"But what about the free cities " otto was running out of excuses now.

"Just like us the free cities knows they will have huge loses if they enter a war against us. That's why they are hiding behind pirates. Once it is clear that the crown is against them it won't be long before they withdraw their support, especially if we use our dragons.

When father called for votes only Otto and Mellos were against the ideas. The meeting ended with her father calling the banners.