The White Hart

115 AC

The whole day, they feasted and celebrated. As much as Rhaenyra hated the socialising and subtle ladies gave her she had to admit it was a fun event, and the wine was good. She and Daemon held Aegon during the whole time while occasionally passing him to Father. Her brother refused to go to anyone else screaming at the top of his lungs when others took him. But the three of them didn't mind. 

Unlike in her previous life, there was no war, and because she was already betrothed, her father was much more relaxed and was quite content in spending time with his family rather than drowning in wine. Even though there were some lords who subtly hinted at naming Aegon heir(Otto in particular), daemon's glares and comments were enough to keep them at bay.

The next day, she rode out with her father and daemon. Aegon was reluctant to let them go, but luckily for them, he was tired from yesterday, so he fell asleep without much screaming. As they rode through the forest, Daemon stuck close to her, making sure Lord Jason was far away from her. She really hoped that the white hart would show up. Not only would it help her with securing the loyalty of the pious lords present here, but it would also help her get back at Otto.

They stopped as they reached the clearing where the knights were waiting for them while restraining a brown stag.

"He may not be white your grace, but he is a big lad," Harwin said to her father.

The disappointment was clear on Otto's face as he took a deep breath to control his anger. Jason handed her father a spear that he gifted him earlier. The king killed the stag with two blows, and they all clapped while Otto still looked disappointed. As she was about to get on her horse, she heard the rustling of leaves and the sound of hooves. As she turned and watched, the white hart emerged from behind the tree.

Otto instantly went from being disappointed to happy. "The gods announced their favour. Prince Aegon Targaryen the ..."

Before he could speak further or anyone else could react, the white hart ran towards Otto and hit him with its antlers, pushing him to the ground. Everyone else stood still not yet recovering from the shock of seeing the magnificent creature and the said creature attacking the hand of the king. Everyone but Daemon, who was laughing while clutching his stomach while wiping tears from his cheeks with his hands. But everyone else sobered up instantly, and Daemon stopped his laugh when the white hart approached Rhaenyra.

She held her hand up, stopping the knights and Daemon from reaching for weapons. She slowly moved her hand towards the regal beast, who was now standing in front of her, looking it in the eyes and asking for its permission to pet it. It reminded her of herself and Syrax before she took her first flight on her dragon. Eventually, the stag nodded, and she reached for its snout gently, rubbing it with her hand while it purred and bowed its head to her.

This time, it was Lord Lyonel Strong who spoke. "The gods announced their favour. For  Rhaenyra Targaryen princess of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne." And everyone understood that he spoke the right thing as the stag didn't turn and attacked him like it did with Otto.

Everyone cheered some reluctantly(Lord Hobert Hightower in particular), while some others were in disbelief as if they couldn't believe that gods decided to favour a woman. Her father and Daemon had a proud and happy smile on their faces. 

********************

They reached back to the camp without much further incident if you didn't count everyone panicking when Rhaenya came into the camp while riding on the white hart. (She  had to admit riding on a giant stag has its appeal, though not as much as Syrax, nothing can compare to flying above the clouds on her beautiful dragon.) But after everyone calms down and went on their business Rhaenyra took Aegon (who was happy to finally see his sister again) for a ride on the White hart. And Aegon, being his wonderfully cute self, tried his best to taste the antlers by putting it in his mouth and, after failing in his numerous attempts, went back to his sister's silver hair.

 They were now sitting at the dinner table. It was the final feast of the event as after the dinner, they were going back to Red Keep. Alicent sat to the king's left while Rhaenyra and Daemon sat to his right, and Aegon slept on Daemon while hugging him. Just after the servants cleared the plates and the cakes were served, her father stood up to make an announcement to the lords and ladies sitting in front of them.

''During the past two days, many of you have approached me with concerns regarding the line of succession, and I have decided to settle this issue now.  A few years back, I named my daughter my heir, and I did not make that decision on a whim. I  named her my heir because I knew she would make a good ruling queen, and today, my decision was backed by the gods themselves as they send they send the white hart to my daughter. Therefore, I hereby reaffirm Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen princess of Dragonstone and heir to the Iron Throne."

As her father announced it and turned to look at her, she sent him a grateful smile while Daemon held her hands in support. Just as she predicted, the look on Otto's face did not disappoint.

Her father, however, was not finished as he picked up his cup of arbour gold and spoke, " A toast to my daughter Rhaenyra, the realm's delight." 

 "To the realm's delight."