Kingsguard

113 AC - Red keep,King's landing

Just because the meeting ended in her favour that did not help Rhaenyra in her pursuit to avoid Cristian Cole. After the council was dismissed, Rhaenyra was tasked with selecting the newest member of kingsguard.

Rhaenyra knew for certain that she won't be selecting the Cole Knight. She may suggest to Daemon to include him in the city watch. The man had potential, so putting him in the city watch will make sure that his skills won't go waist while he won't be in a position to turn against her.

"Ser Desmond Caron. A fine knight, princess.
Step forward, Ser Desmond."

As her sworn shield announced, she noticed Otto coming to stand behind her.

"Son of Ser Royce Caron. Ser Desmond has been proved strong,steady in both tourney lists, and without . While travelling through Kingswood on his way to King's landing, Ser Desmond recently bought a would-be poacher to justice."

"We thank you for your loyal services to the crown ser." Rhaenyra said to the knight.

"Ser Ryman Mallister, son of Lord Lyman Mallister of seaguard. Winner of the melee at Cider Hall. He was the last mounted of 3 out of 29 knights. Ser Ryman was knighted at 3 and 10."

She listened as Ser Harrold announced all the knights. Once he was over, she made her decision.
"I choose Ser Desmond Caron."
"A fine choice, princess." Ser Harrold agreed

Later, Rhaenyra went to dine with her father. The tension in the air was evident. Both of them didn't know what to say. Rhaenyra knew her father was going to discuss his marriage, and he was going to announce his marriage with Alicent soon. She took a sip of her hippocras and spoke.

"We haven't spoken much since.."
"A regret of mine. We should be free to speak our mind to one another."
"You can say whatever you like. You are the King."

"I loved your mother very much."
"As did I."

Rhaenyra tried to keep the conversation going. Even though she already had the same talk with the same person one time, it was not getting easy. She pulled a date from the plate and fiddled with it.

"Ser Harrold provided a fine field of tourney knights. And I chose Ser Desmond.

"He'll make a fine knight of kingsguard. Today at the small council, I was impressed with how you convinced the lords."

They exchanged smiles.

"Rhaenyra, your mother's absence is a wound that will never heal without her. The red keep has lost the warmth. I dare say it would not recover."

"It pleases me to hear you say this, to know that I am not alone in my grief."

"I wish I had known better what to say to you in the aftermath. I struggled to realise that my daughter has quickly become a woman grown. But I know she understands what is now expected of me."

"The King must take a new wife."

"I could never replace your mother no more than I intend to replace you as heir. But you are my only heir, and our line is vulnerable too easily ended. By marrying again, I can ensure that we are better defended."

"Against whom?"

"Whomever may dare to challenge us. I do not wish to make us estranged."

"You are the king, and your first duty is to the realm. Mother would have understood this just as I do."

The next day, as everyone assembled for the council meeting, her father spoke.
"Good morrow, my lords."
"I have decided to take a new wife. I intend to marry the lady Alicent hightower before springs end."

She could feel Alicent's gaze on her, but Rhaenyra refused to look at her.
'You fool.' Rhaenyra thought. 'Always letting that man who calls himself your father manipulate you. Dancing to his tunes like a doll. Even when you were queen, you let him walk over you.'

"This is an absurdity. My house is valyrian, the greatest power in the realm."

"And I am your king."

With that, Corlys stormed out. Rhaenyra didn't blame the man even though she didn't agree with the idea of her 12 year old cousin marrying her father. Her father was sitting in the chair that where Rhaenys should have sat. Choosing a daughter of second son over the daughter of the richest House was an insult. She wanted to smack the smug look out of Otto's face. She left the room, not being able to stand this any longer .