21

Valerie POV

It's been a few weeks since Drake died and I'm starting to function normally again. So much so that I'm currently getting dressed for work.

"I don't know how I feel about you rushing into fires." Levi announces and I blow out a breath of air.

"I'm not stay at home Mom material." I warn and he lowers his head before bringing it back up and kissing my forehead.

"I love you girly, I don't want to lose you."

"We're not even married, Levi. If we were to break up, I couldn't see myself scrambling to pay bills cause I depended on you." I say almost apologetically.

Truth be told, I would love to be a stay at home Mom, where my son wasn't left in the care of his grandparents almost as much as he's in mine. I hate it. But I can't just let myself depend on something that could at any moment falter.

"When I finally get to marry you, you'll be able to be a stay at home Mom." He confirms, kissing my cheek and walking downstairs.

I look around the room and fiddle with my wedding ring, which is still hanging around my neck.

I take it off and put it in a box, locking it and putting it away.

They were Natalia and Jackson's wedding rings, and one day they will be Daniel's.

I pull my hair into a ponytail and walk downstairs.

"Gabby, Natalia's picking you up from school today." I tell her and she groans throwing her head back.

"Can I just go to a friends?"

"No." Is all I say and she stomps her foot, crossing her arms.

"Excuse me?" I ask and she rolls her eyes.

"You've been a bitch since Drake died, you know that?" She spits and I walk over, bending over until I'm at her height.

"I don't have time to do anything now, but after school Natalias gonna bring you by the station." I explain and she smirks.

"My Dad won't let you."

"Get to the car, now." I order, slapping her thigh to get her moving.

She rolls her eyes again before grabbing her lunch and taking it outside.

Daniel comes down the stairs with Levi, sleeping on his shoulder.

"Is Gabby in the car?" He asks quickly and I nod, the both of us walking outside.

We drop Gabby off at school and look back to make sure Daniel's still asleep.

"Before I tell you, I'm taking care of it and Natalia's gonna bring her by the station after school." I explain and Levi nods, "She told me I'd been a bitch since Drake died and when I told her I would spank her after school she told me you would never let me. All because I told her she couldn't go to a friends house tonight."

His jaw is clenched shut and he nods, not saying anything. We get to Jackson's and find that he's kissing Natalia by the door before leaving.

Natalia wipes a tear away as we get out the car. I walk around and unbuckle Daniel, accidentally waking him up in the process.

"Noooo!" He screams as I carry him up the driveway.

"Come see Grandpa!" Jackson chuckles as he takes my son, holding him tight.

"I want sleep." Daniel pouts and I smirk, taking him back.

I carry him to Natalia and she eagerly takes him from me.

"Do you mind bringing Gabby to the station after school?" I ask and she nods.

"She in trouble?"

"Oh is she." I mumble and Natalia kisses my head.

"I hope you know that girl is just as much my grand baby as Daniel." She warns and I smirk.

"I know Natalia." I assure her as I kiss Daniels head.

"You be good for MiMi understand?" I tell Daniel and he nods.

I walk back to the car and sit back.

We start driving to the station and I feel my heart tightening. I'm half expecting Drake to be there.

Levi reaches over and squeezes my thigh before taking my hand and kissing it.

We walk inside and everybody's happy to see us.

Jackson grabs my arm and pulls me into his office with Ben.

"Are you two okay to work?" He asks darkly and I nod.

"Harper, you and...."

"Andrews." I confirm and he smiles at me.

"You and Andrews are gonna be sitting out unless I need y'all today."

"Yes sir." We both say and Jackson leaves.

We start doing chores and running drills when Levi's phone starts going off.

He goes to grab it by Ben tells him not to. Mine starts ringing immediately afterwards and despite Ben's warnings, I answer.

"Hello?"

"This is principal Mills at Greene Elementary." She starts, "Gabby's landed herself in a heap of trouble."

"I'm on my way." I say before hanging up.

"Chief we're taking the truck to the school." I announce and he nods.

Levi raises an eyebrow and Franks, Drakes replacement, jumps up as well.

I take a moment to notice her features, long red hair, freckles, bright green eyes, she's beautiful.

We head to the truck and school, Levi and I walk inside.

"I apologize for not answering, the Chief told me not to and I didn't see who was calling." Levi apologizes instantly and Principal Mills nods.

"What did you do?" I ask Gabby and she rolls her eyes.

Levi goes to do something but I hold my hand up before placing both hands on the arms of the chair and glaring at her.

"Gabriella Jane you had better tell me what you did because you and I still have a date from this morning which was 3 hours ago." I warn in a dark tone and she stiffens, "Now."

She looks down but I grab her chin, pulling it back up so she's looking me in the eye.

"I punched Tommy." She whimpers and I nod.

"Why?"

"Because he started being really mean and shoved me."

I immediately stand up and turn to Principal Mills.

"So you're telling me she's suspended for defending herself?" I ask and Levi's eyes go wide.

"No ma'am she's suspended for punching a special ed kid."